WIP - Witchfate Tor: The Tower of Sorcery

dsteingass

This is a great kit. I have heard some people around the net berating it for being difficult to build, but I disagree, it takes some strong basic hobby skills, such as sanding, clamping, and some minor puttying, but these are great skills to develop. Painting is ongoing.

http://flic.kr/p/a7cKog <a href=5977402063_96359959bf.jpg' alt='59774020

People berate all Games Workshop kits. The plastic is EXTREMELY soft for styrene. Great looking tower!

Not sure I follow, it's about the same as Plastruct or Evergreen sheets, soft enough to file and sand, cuts easily. This kit is huge. Like the other recent GW terrain kits, it is a solid 1/4-1/2" thick and they have standardized storey heights, which make for easy kitbashing and works well along side my preferred scratchbuilding material of foamcore. I'll post my 1/72 scale stuff if anyone is interested.

People berate all Games Workshop kits. The plastic is EXTREMELY soft for styrene. Great looking tower!

Maybe they changed. I have built both versions of Rhinos, a basalisk and demolisher. All were teriibly soft and did not react well to sanding. The good point was that it reacted VERY well to Testors liquid cement.

Yes, in recent years, they have been revolutionizing the miniatures market. The vehicle kits have all been reworked. They design these kits via computer first, then a laser cuts the steel die for the injection molds. I would consider the grey plastic they use now as HARD myself, compared to other stuff that I have worked with. They are also replacing their metal line with a new injection-molded lightweight resin, which is quite soft, but the detail they can reproduce now is astonishing. Of course, I've never needed an automotive-smooth finish on any of their kits, I have many tanks, and they generally look best painted ..well...like armor ;)

I still prefer Testors in the blue tube, although Plastruct Plastic Weld is great for small bits.

Maybe they changed. I have built both versions of Rhinos, a basalisk and demolisher. All were teriibly soft and did not react well to sanding. The good point was that it reacted VERY well to Testors liquid cement.

Some highlights added...looong way to go tho

2011-07-27_11-42-52_540.jpg

Yes, in recent years, they have been revolutionizing the miniatures market. The vehicle kits have all been reworked. They design these kits via computer first, then a laser cuts the steel die for the injection molds. I would consider the grey plastic they use now as HARD myself, compared to other stuff that I have worked with. They are also replacing their metal line with a new injection-molded lightweight resin, which is quite soft, but the detail they can reproduce now is astonishing. Of course, I've never needed an automotive-smooth finish on any of their kits, I have many tanks, and they generally look best painted ..well...like armor ;)

I still prefer Testors in the blue tube, although Plastruct Plastic Weld is great for small bits.

Dave,

Is that designed for Warhammer or Warhammer 40K? Looks like it COULD be used for either. Without something to compare scale, I have no idea. Looks great though!!!

Oh YEAH! totally. Even though the Warhammer and 40K IP is sooo well guarded by GW, they have produced and kept in production sooo many compatible kits that all have extra bitz on the sprues, that kitbashing using ONLY GW parts has become a hobby unto it's own. It's quite common, and designed to be...interchangable with either the fantasy or sci-fi version of the game (world)...brilliant system really.

An Imperial Guard Leman Russ uses the same tread link on it's tracks as the Chimera ..even in the fiction novels, which I admit I am addicted to ;)

...oh..it was designed for the Fantasy version of Warhammer :smiley23:

mine is built OOB because It was cool that way, even though I admit to pondering buying 4 of them and doing some damn fool thing like building a castle...

Edited by dsteingass

Dave,

I went to the site and looked it up. That tower could easily be used with the Chaos Space Marines and the demolished Dreadstone Blight is neat looking also.

Even the Imperial Architecture in 40k is dark and gothic. The Dreadstone Blight is really the same kit with extra ruined bitz, the floors are 3 sections of interlocking floors, pretty cool. what you see on Dreadstone Blight is just one floor set seperated into two ruined floor sections.

Dave,

I went to the site and looked it up. That tower could easily be used with the Chaos Space Marines and the demolished Dreadstone Blight is neat looking also.

Yeah, I searched eveil bay and there is a guy selling nothing but bits. I could basically get everything for about $15 plus shipping.