1932 Ford Vicky Gasser

This is my first completed build for 2011. I originally got this model from a friend of mine and it was beautiful. In November of 2010 my club was hosting just a show at our local hobby shop and I took this beautiful Vicky out for display.

32vickygasser.jpg

32vickygasser4.jpg

Well needless to say the poor Vicky was dropped and it blew apart, no big deal I thought to myself, I can rebuild it. The only problem was that the paint had been damaged beyond repair (I wish I had taken pictures of the damage), so I just stuck it in a box for a later time.

Fast forward a few months and I find myself in a slump, so I dug the old girl out of her box and started the rebuild. I stripped her down to bare plastic and started over. With this build I wanted a real late 50's early 60's vibe, right when hot rods were coming of the street and hitting the strip. I wanted to keep the build simple and go the same direction that the original builder did, but the front axle had broke under it's own weight 3 days before a show, Raul came to the rescue with a new front Axle (Thank you Raul!)

Parts Break Down:

Rear Wheels and tires: AMT Double T

Engine and front wheels: Original Issue AMT 32 Ford Vicky

Blower and Blower Drive Cover: Original Issue AMT 40 Ford

Blower Hat and front Tires: my parts box

Paint is Scale Finishes 1955 Regal Turquoise

Being a race car I wanted to add a roll cage to it, I scratch built mine out of plastistruct tubing using the AMT 33 Willys as a pattern and turned it from a 2 point into a 3 point roll bar.

DSCF6053.jpg

Turning towards the engine I noticed it looked a little "blah" so I decided to wire it up with a MAD prewired magneto and run fuel lines to the fuel injectors made out of 40 pound test Cajun Line.

DSCF6065.jpg

This build went through a few changes in between contests, at its first contest it took third place Competition Automobiles Straight Line, at the time I hadn't washed the engine or done the panel lines.

With some time in between contests I decided to go ahead and do the panel lines and give the engine a quick oil wash, the result was well worth it in my opinion, at its last contest it took first place Automobiles Closed Wheel Competition Domestic.

And here are just some good looking pictures of it.

2011Kick-off-classic010.jpg

2011Kick-off-classic011.jpg

cropedvicky.jpg

DSCF6641.jpg

DSCF6635.jpg

DSCF6633.jpg

DSCF6632.jpg

All in all this was a fun rebuild and it took me out of my slump and actually threw me into the IPMS contest arena. I learned a lot from this old girl, sadly she was destoryed along with a couple other of my builds when some nukle heads rammed their car through the hobby shop front doors. Criticism is welcome good or bad.

Thanks for looking

Donnie

Edited by DBoger

Donnie:

I really like both the before and after pix. The original color is sweet, but, like you stated, you had an accident and the model was damaged beyond a regular re-build and the new color is nice as well. Congrats on both contests you took it to. Best I'v ever been able to do has been a third in the shows in Buffalo (Buffcon) and Watkins Glen ( former Glen Modeling Experience) but thats cool anyway. Nice job.

Dave

Very nice work! These older vehicles have a class and style that is very pleasing to the eye. But then, I'm on the north side of 60 myself and remember these vehicles well. One could tour the parking lot at my high school and see a few of these in the lot.

wait....it was destroyed once...then you rebuilt it...and then it was destroyed a second time when someone drove into the shop????

wait....it was destroyed once...then you rebuilt it...and then it was destroyed a second time when someone drove into the shop????

yep, this time around though there was nothing left to rebuild

One thing I forgot to mention was a week before it was destroyed the 2nd time, it took Best of show at one of my local car model contests.

Edited by DBoger