Cross learning

Ron Bell

I know when I go to model shows, even though I build primarily Mil.Veh. for competition, I try to look at all the models to see what I can learn. Which got me to thinking, what have you learned from people who do subjects other than your primary interest that you can apply to your modeling? For example, by talking to car modelers, I learned about rubbing out finishes. I may not need to polish many tanks, but I learned about the behavior of different paints and what you can do with them. What do you build and what have you learned from others?

I pay particular attention to the armor and figure entries. I find that the same painting and weathering techniques used for armor are also something I can use to improve my Sci-Fi spacecraft. I have been dabbling with figure painting over the last year, attending the meetings of a Figure Club, and providing them with "comic relief". According to one of their members my figure painting "doesn't suck as bad" now. And he's right! I have now been able to populate a piece of artillery or two with figures, and also have several aircraft with figures that "don't suck as bad".

More importantly, I find my level of enjoyment and satisfaction in my modeling has increased out of proportion to my actual skill development. While I am learning new techniques I am far from being "good" at them, much less mastering them. But I find that the pleasure of modeling is increasing as well as the pride I feel in the finished product.

I'm primarily an armor modeler, but my first first place award came from building a VW Beetle. I've also placed with a ship and sci-fi UFO. Still apprehensive about trying an aircraft.

That's why I love our club! It allows me immediately access and answers when I see a build that I like. That was one of the thinks I didn't like about the animenity of shows. There were a couple models there I would have loved to talk to the builder about.

Our chapter has modelers that individually build in almost every genre...armor, aircraft, cars & trucks, sci-fi, figures, ships, dioramas, you name it. There is such a large amount of techniques that potentially cross over between genres,,,,and learning new ones is a lot of fun. That diversity of subjects serves us quite well...and makes for interesting discussions at meetings. The shows I've attended have been just as much fun, and I get to ask questions about the models that are there...

Well, I've learned a lot of weathering techniques from armor builders (and you know who you are :smiley17:). Not sure if that''s actually helped my aircraft builds......

Also, I've been privy to many a lesson on painting from some very good car builders, not that I've been able to PAINT like them in spite of that. But then I've also watched Barry Numerick of Pittsburgh airbrush his Luftwaffe stuff, and I still can't do THAT either....

That's one of the reasons I like IPMS. I'm not confined in exposure to just one genre! There's always the potential to learn something from ANYBODY! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

• 4 months later...

This is a timely topic. I recently finished a big scale car for the review team that needed the best possible finish. For inspiration I went the a local model show and saw some work that made me realize I've been getting lazy! That led me to ask some questions on this forum to which I received several helpful replies. As in most things in life, modeling (no pun intended) yourself after those with more talent than you can only make you better if you are really committed to the effort.