"Hell Camino" -- DONE 7/25/11

MikeH

I'm back at the bench again and feeling great. I took quite a good chunk of time away from the bench to work on new airbrush techniques with figures and other stuff. My return trip to my comfort zone is my "hell camino". I've got the engine complete and the paint is on. I airbrushed everything.

DSC03476.jpg

DSC03475.jpg

Edited by MikeH

HOOOOOLLLLLY HADES!!! jaw-dropping.gif THAT flammer IS awesome Mike. :smiley20: I've seen this technique used to excellent effect by John Pattison, but this example is superb. Excellent use of masks and/or templates. Home-made, I assume. More photos of the paint job, please.

Edited by Weedeater

Mike, I don't build cars but a big hats off to you with that paint job!!!! Top class work.

John

Wow! That's great work! How about a "How to" article for the Journal!

Wow! That's great work! How about a "How to" article for the Journal!

I would love to Dick. The trick would be to convert something that needs to be a video in to text and pictures.

Great job on the flames Mike. The time off from the bench looks like it really paid off for you. That Chassis and Motor look Very clean. Very good airbrush technique.

Hi Mike, nice work! What paint did you use on the flames and what psi for the airbrush?

I used Kustom Kolor automotive urethanes. The airbrush I use is a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity Solo with a .15 needle with an H&S oil-less minicompressor. I usually run about 8-10psi. You can contact Brad at Idle Hands Hobbies for the airbrush and compressor. Great guy to deal with. http://www.idlehandshobbies.com

If you use this paint MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A RESPIRATOR! Not one of those cheap dust mask things either. A good particulate filter with charcoal canisters from 3M. Nasty bad stuff for you to breathe.

We got home from the lake with our friends and I knocked out the interior this evening in air-conditioned comfort. The seats were painted flat red, and then shot with semi-gloss clear to give it the leather look. A couple of small touch-ups are needed. The red carpet flocking is courtesy of Martha Stewart Crafts. LMAO

DSC03481.jpg

DSC03479.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03478.jpg

DSC03477.jpg

Thank you guys for the kind words. It feels great to be building again. I got her standing tall tonight. A few minor touch ups to do yet. The first picture is in natural light. The last three are with the flash which makes all the colors pop out. A memory stick error killed off the chassis shot. rolleyes

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03484.jpg

DSC03485.jpg

DSC03486.jpg

Mike, that is lookin sweeEETTT! i hope that when the day comes that I try a Flame-job, that it looks half as good as this. Kudos. :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Dude, that is a fantastic flame job. You definitely need to do a tutorial on how to do those licks. I can't do them as a paint job so mine are all decal. But I would love to see them to maybe, someday give it a try. I love the work you did on the interior of that truck. Did you use flocking on the floor or is that just a paint job?? I'm really liking how it is coming.

Dave

Dude, that is a fantastic flame job. You definitely need to do a tutorial on how to do those licks. I can't do them as a paint job so mine are all decal. But I would love to see them to maybe, someday give it a try. I love the work you did on the interior of that truck. Did you use flocking on the floor or is that just a paint job?? I'm really liking how it is coming.

Dave

Thank you for the compliment. The interior is flocking courtesy of Martha Stewart Crafts. You can buy the stuff at Michaels for dirt cheap and it's really good. Ironic that Martha Stewart items end up in a Hell Camino. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif As for the tutorial, I'm scratching my head per two requests for an article/tutorial on how to do it. A lot of pictures would be needed.

Edited by MikeH

I'm sticking a fork in it and calling it done. I tossed around adding the chrome trim and foiling the window and bed etc. but it would've taken away from the main focus of an intimidating vehicle. I'm looking forward to the next one.

DSC03488.jpg

DSC03489.jpg

DSC03490.jpg

DSC03491.jpg

DSC03492.jpg

DSC03493.jpg

DSC03495.jpg

Maybe, instead of an online tutorial, do an article for the Journal. That would catch my attention. I really like how it turned out. Those flames look like the real thing, thats fer sure.The best I can do right now is decal flames.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Here are a few videos I have on airbrushing flames, smoke and lightning. They're on 1:1 subjects, but I think the technique would scale down just fine.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related (Ed Hubbs is good at this!)

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel (airbrushing lightning)

(airbrushing smoke)

This is a tutorial on making the 'true flame' stencils, rather than buying the expensive premade pieces. I have no idea who this guy is, so I have no vested interest in the endorsement. I ran across it purely by accident, but after watching it, I realized the guy has a valid point.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...