removing chrome

I buy some fume free Easy Off oven cleaner and place the parts or the whole sprue in a large ziplock freezer bag. I then spray the easy off into the bag, trying to coat everything. I zip it up and let it sit overnight. I put on a pair of dishwashing gloves and grab and old toothbrush and begin scrubbing. Sometimes I have to use a toothpick to get the chrome out of the nooks and crannies. I scrub the parts clean with dishwashing liquid afterwards.

I've also been known knock out a few dishes in order to get the kitchen sink empty before I get started.

I buy some fume free Easy Off oven cleaner and place the parts or the whole sprue in a large ziplock freezer bag. I then spray the easy off into the bag, trying to coat everything. I zip it up and let it sit overnight. I put on a pair of dishwashing gloves and grab and old toothbrush and begin scrubbing. Sometimes I have to use a toothpick to get the chrome out of the nooks and crannies. I scrub the parts clean with dishwashing liquid afterwards.

I've also been known knock out a few dishes in order to get the kitchen sink empty before I get started.

Thanks I'll give it a try!

I just use household ammonia. Works fine if you leave the piece to soak a bit. However, it does still leave behind the lacquer-like shinny base coat. However, if you don't disturb this, it's fine as paint goes over it with no trouble.

I use cheap Heavy Duty Brake Fluid. I buy the cheapest brand at the local Auto Zone or Auto Suppy store, soak the part for a minute or two and its chrome free. Of course, you then have to wash the part and remove the brake fluid....

Brake Fluid also removes most paint except acrylic..... it has trouble with that.

One of the nice things about the easy off foam is that you can also just apply it to areas you want the chrome removed, like the contact points for an engine part, bumper, etc. Just rinse the easy off "down stream" under the faucet. I've done this using those old white handled Testors brushes.

Super Clean, also formerly known as Castrol Super Clean, is a degreaser in a purple bottle found at most auto part stores. Works great for stripping paint and removing chrome from plastic.

ok been soaking in brake fluid for 4 hours and chrome is still not moving. Guess I'll go through the list. It did clean my work space up very nice though...I'll give it a bit longer.

I scraped the edges of the part too just so there was exposed plastic, not sure if that would help or not.

edit update: The parts are starting to change color so something is happening. It's been 8 hours so far. I also noticed the chrome is much easier to scape off now so may be its starting to loosen up. I'll let it go overnight and recheck tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by sumterIII

Hey Ron

After 24 hours in brake fluid the chrome was still on. I placed it in Ammonia as you said and within 20 seconds all the chrome was gone! :smiley32:

Thanks!

edit post:Not sure if the brake fluid helped to soften the chrome or not. I'll try it again without soaking in brake fluid and see how well it works. I noticed the chrome started to come off with light steel wool after the brake fluid, but man it jumped off with the ammonia.

Still like to try the other ideas too so will see how they work next.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Edited by sumterIII

• 1 month later...

The quickest way I know to remove chrome or paint is to use Dawn Power Dissolver. I pick it up at WalMart, it runs $2.87 for a 12oz bottle. The Power Dissolver removes chrome including the clear lacquer, taking it down to bare plastic in about 20 minutes. The same can be said for removing paint. Depending upon how thick the paint it may take as much as 24 hours. The up side of the Power Dissolver vs Super Clean is it's not as caustic to your skin. Wearing gloves is recommended for any of these products.