IPMS and Good News

Dick Montgomery

This is what IPMS is about….

Recently the brother and parents of a deceased modeler contacted IPMS and asked for details so that they could make a donation to the IPMS Support the Troops program. Information was exchanged and the delivery of most of the items took place this morning. It has been a remarkable day. Fed Ex has delivered 34 cases of models. Not 34 models, mind you, which would be a very generous donation, but 34 Cases of models. The Hudson family (the donors) report that there are somewhere between 1,000 and 1,400 models in this collection. It seems their brother/son was an avid modeler and a former serviceman and they thought that it would be his wish to provide his collection of kits and books to the Support the Troops program.

We are about to make that wish a fact. All of these items will soon be delivered to our Wounded Warriors. This donation is the largest donation from a single donor that IPMS has ever received. One can only imagine the 10’s of thousands of hours of enjoyment and relaxation that these items represent to our Wounded Warriors.

Thanks to the Hudson family and I’m quite sure that their departed family member would be very happy to know that his collection will be placed in good hands.

While it is unfortunate that the Hudson family lost their loved one, it is wonderful news that these models will provide those who serve with a much needed distraction while away from home.

Many thanks to the Hudson family...

What an example for the rest of us! A family reaches out to help others during their own time of sorrow. Makes me proud to be an IPMS member, even if we're only the conduit for their generosity.

GIL :smiley16:

While it is unfortunate that the Hudson family lost their loved one, it is wonderful news that these models will provide those who serve with a much needed distraction while away from home.

My sentiments, exactly.

What an example for the rest of us! A family reaches out to help others during their own time of sorrow. Makes me proud to be an IPMS member, even if we're only the conduit for their generosity.

GIL :smiley16:

Ditto to both sentiments! Couldn't have said it any better.

Mike

What an amazing act of kindness during a time of sorrow. This is something I'd not considered for when my time comes....but I am now.

My sincere sympathy for the Hudsons.

Wonderful gesture! My Will already states that whatever I have relating to models when I pass will be donated to the Support the Troops. Either locally at a show or some other means.

The Hudson Family not only donated the models (Mike clearly had excellent taste in models.. Everything so far (I've only cataloged 3 boxes out of the 34 delivered) is of high quality and 99.99% minit condition, but he also was an avid reader and collector of books. Yellow Freight Lines just delivered 1,450 lbs of books. Yellow Freight dropped them off at the curb and I experienced the joy of moving 3/4 ton of books from the sidewalk into my garage. Temp outside right now is 100+! Yowie, its toasty out there! This is a stunning donation and the troops will certainly enjoy every item!

And thanks to those of you who also find ways to donate to the Support the Troops program! Don't forget that IPMS will have a Donation Station set up in Omaha!

Wow...

Looks like the IPMS will need their own personal 'C-130J Super Hercules' to drop off all the donations to the troops.

Remember... frequent breaks and plenty of water.

Kev,

I was stopping every trip back out to the street to take a swig of water, and I always wear a hat during the day. It's just H.O.T.

You're right about the Herky Bird....I need a Loadmaster to organize the CG in my vehicle when I haul this stuff!

First load gets delivered tomorrow!

I've got to take a little road trip and plan to start the journey with a stop at B.A.M.C. to deliver the first load of goodies. By 1pm today the Wounded Warriors will be given the first of a number of delivers from the Hudsons. By the end of the day there will surely be the noticeable scent of glue wafting through the air!

Please do not forget the Donation Station that will be set up in Omaha, thanks to the coopertion and support of the host chapter!

Wounded Warriors, if I’m not mistaken, is a state side group helping vets overcome and adjust to traumatic wounds. I was looking for a POC online for our club to contact and maybe help out too. Would IPMS prefer to make donations from a single source or could chapters make donations as well?

I know of several chapters that, on their own, do the same thing or something similar to what IPMS does with the IPMS Wounded Warriors group in San Antonio. I know that El Paso, Washington, D.C., and Air Capitol Modelers support local facilities.

My suggestion would be to see if there is a local hospital or rehab center that you can "adopt".

Wounded Warriors, if I'm not mistaken, is a state side group helping vets overcome and adjust to traumatic wounds. I was looking for a POC online for our club to contact and maybe help out too. Would IPMS prefer to make donations from a single source or could chapters make donations as well?

That is a wonderful idea. The wounded warriors program is a terrific outlet for people to set their wills for ultimate disposal of models from deceased modelers. Thank you Hudson family for such a generous donation.

Dave Wahl

• 3 weeks later...

Another load of goodies was just delivered to the Wounded Warriors. About 150 kits of all types, tools, and modeling magazines are now ready for the guys to use.

Thanks to Dragon Models, USA, and to Jerry Carter Air Tools for their contributions received at the Omaha convention. Also thanks to the many modelers who donated items while in Omaha. Also, thanks to Tracy Palmer for his donation to this worthwhile cause.

Also, thanks to Hill Country Hobbies (San Antonio, Tx) for serving as a Donation Station so that local modelers can make contributions.

Thanks to Phil Peterson for the Dragon 144th Tornado.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Skip and Josie Harris for their recent donation to the Wounded Warriors. And thanks to Hill Country Hobbies (an L.H.S. in San Antonio) for serving as a Donation Station for their support of IPMS and the IPMS Support the Troops program.

Iran Ausley, not a member of our Society (yet!) has donated some very useful and excellent items to the IPMS Support the Troops program. The troops will now have hours of enjoyable reading with the stack of FSM Iran donated. Also along with the magazines are some aircraft kits, NASCAR kits, and a PBR kit by Tamiya. Along with these items is an Xacto "tool" box..... all very useful, all very much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Another donation has been received from "Doc" Webber. Doc is a "frequent flyer" when it comes to supporting the troops through donations of hobby supplies. This latest load contained a little of everything; armor, autos, aircraft, figures, etc.

Thanks "Doc"!

Items for the Wounded Warriors arrived today, donated by Jim Spellmire. On behalf of the Wounded Warriors let me say, "Thanks Jim!"

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday, Sept 24th, IPMS Austin Scale Modelers hosted their annual event. The event appeared to be very successful due the to large and happy crowds that were in evidence. As is their custom, IPMS Austin provided IPMS/USA with a table prominently located in the foyer of the event area. The table space housed a Donation Station for the Support the Troops program and also a display featuring IPMS/USA. Throughout the day I had the opportunity to meet a large number of IPMS members from the Central Tx and Louisiana area as they visited the table, and also to meet and greet many non-IPMS modelers. By the end of the day the Donation Station was full of goodies and some new or returning memberships had been gathered.

I am pleased to report that we had 13 members renew their IPMS membership for the coming year and we had 9 persons join IPMS for the first time.

Many attendees placed one or two items in the Donation Station while others brought boxes of items collected by their home chapters.

For their donations, and for their continued support of the Support the Troops program, we say Thanks to:

Garrett Wood

Gary Beckman

Mark Fiedler

Frank Landrus and IPMS North Central Texas

Buddy Wolfe

IPMS Austin Scale Modelers

and a big THANKS to the anonymous donors who drop items in the donation station while no one is looking!

A package from Mark Aldrich was just delivered to my door and within are some goodies for the Wounded Warriors.

Thanks Mark!

Thanks to John Ratzenberger, who donated 25 models of different subject areas and scales to the Wounded Warriors! With individual donations such as the most recently reported here, the guys and gals at BAMC will have much to do during their free time when not in therapy or treatment.

On behalf of the Wounded Warriors, "Thanks!"