Looking for photo of DC-6B SE-BDY "Albertina"

MarkYoungCrewChief

I'm looking for a photo, preferrably in color, of the DC-6B in which Dag Hammarskjold was killed near N´dola in Zambia, 18 Sept, 1961. The aircraft, C/N 43559, coded SE-BDY, was operated by Transair of Sweden and was under charter to the UN at the time. The aircaft was nicknamed "Albertina".

I have Googled the web and images and have found very little on this, other than a reference that the aircraft was in UN markings, whatever that means. My search turned up one b&w photo taken in 1956, but I need one taken of the aircraft in the markings she was wearing when she crashed.

Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated.

Mark,

I haven't found anything matching, but this page seems to have some related information. I would suspect that the aircraft was overall white with "ONU" (Organization des Nations Unites) on it. Congo was a former Belgian colony and French was the predominant language.

My link

Hope this helps!

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Like you say, not exactly what I am looking for, but there is some interesting background information here. I appreciate your interest and help.

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark,

I haven't found anything matching, but this page seems to have some related information. I would suspect that the aircraft was overall white with "ONU" (Organization des Nations Unites) on it. Congo was a former Belgian colony and French was the predominant language.

My link

Hope this helps!