Damn Good Airplane

Wildcat

Damn Good Airplane

Ancient Hawk kit from the 50's. Winner of the 1935 Bendix Trophy race. Built this one as a boy and always liked the lines. This time I replaced the engine which is just a flat faced radial in the kit. Also added an interior --- the kit just gives you a slab of plastic for the little blob of a pilot to sit on. Did a lot of work to get the canopy as clear as possible but you still can't see much.

One of the designers, Gordon Israel, went to work for a little company in Bethpage, Long Island just before WWII. You sure can see the lines of the Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat and Tigercat in this little guy.

dga6%20002.JPG

dga6%20008.JPG

dga6%20011.JPG

dga6%20013.JPG

More here:

http://www.percongrp...aft/dga6_ms.htm

- That's a clean lookin build, Mike. You did justice to that tired old Hawk kit. :smiley20: :smiley20: :smiley20:

• 1 month later...

A nice job and glad to see other planes from the Golden Age appear on this Forum.

Mark Fiedler(aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

Speaking of classic old kits and planes from the Golden Age, one of the more impressive builds (to me) in Omaha was the GORGEOUS build of the old 1/32 Staggerwings Unlimited Beech Staggerwing. It took a TON of skill to build such a pretty model from that old kit!

100_3524.jpg

I don't know who the builder is, but he sure deserves congratulations and a round of applause!

GIL :smiley16:

It took a TON of skill to build such a pretty model from that old kit!

.......I don't know who the builder is, but he sure deserves congratulations and a round of applause!

GIL :smiley16:

I totally agree :smiley14: with ya on both counts Gil. Beautiful build of a nasty model. :smiley32::smiley20:

Sorry Michael for high-jacking yer thread. Ya know that we still love your Mulligan.

Edited by Weedeater

I attend the Camirillo airshow in California every year and theres guy who built a replica of this aircraft that he takes up and races around the circuit in. Its quite impressive and very fast! Nice job especially considering what you started with.