Nissan Fairlady 300ZX

This is how I spent part of my Monday! I have never painted a polycarbon body before and I never will again. I have never had such a weird experience when painting. The paint kept creating paint spider webs,

100_2289.jpg

100_2288.jpg

Mark, what scale is this? I take it that it's for an RC car. Polycarbonate bodies can a task to get the paint to cooperate. Guess they figure it's going to get beat up anyway, so the final finish isn't that big a deal.

It looks good, no matter how much it fought you .

David,

I believe it is 1/10 scale and yes it is RC. It is an after market body to replace the Tamiya ISMA kit. My Brother in law waited a version of his real car and this was the closet body he could find. There is a tail spoiler that will be added but only the street looking stickers (I can't believe I am going to apply stickers to this) will be added.

Mark...

I was wondering what paint did you use that caused an issue?

I've painted about 20 or so of these bodies and have never had a problem at all.

These bodies are actually quite simple to paint once you get the hang of it.

Kevin

Kevin,

The paint created spider or cobweb looking particales. If you have ever seen the inisde of a cotton candy making machine, it was very similar to that. The strands attached everywhere and dried instantly. They were able to be pulled off with no damage to the car. I believe it was Testors brand RC paint.

No I am sure it was MY fault. Just never had it happen before. Of course, I have never painted a polycarbon car before either!

Jay,

It was a bottle and no thinning required! I was really impressed! No clumps in the bottom and it was already super thin to begin with.

Thanks guys! Really appreciatte that! Now I gotta motivate myself to build that Mini for the wife!

Thanks guys! Really appreciatte that! Now I gotta motivate myself to build that Mini for the wife!

Oh yea.....it's really a good thing to keep the wife happy.... Looking forward to seeing the build mike...