Where have the National Conventions been held?

Being a newbie on the scene, can someone please bring me up to speed on where, over the years, the National Conventions have been held?

For instance, I know that:

2011- Omaha

2010 - Phoenix

2009 -?

2008-?

etc.

Wow....I joined in '77, making me a member for 34yrs. I've managed to make it to 21 of the 34 Nats over the years. That's not bad, considering ALL of my kids were born/raised during that time, I went through a divorce (got poor), remarried (got poor again :smiley2:), and I had to go through 2 different vacation seniority processions on the job during that time (low seniority making it hard to get off for the Nats during the summer). I've only made it to 4 of the "west" Nats (Phoenix twice, Seattle, and Santa Clara). On the other hand, the only "east" Nats I missed was the '81 shindig in NYC. Perhaps I'm biased as my very FIRST contest/show of ANY kind I ever attended was the Nats in Atlanta in '78. No where to go but down from there......:smiley20:

For any of you who haven't made it to a Nats, you just don't know what you're missing! In fact, it'll take two of them before you actually enjoy yourself. You'll be too over whelmed at the first one to know what to do and where to go, and how NOT to miss out on the things you want to see! I'm sure Omaha is going to be as much fun as ever!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

2005 was hosted by IPMS Metro Atlanta Inc, a combination of three metro area clubs: Atlanta, Marietta and Northmen (alphabetical order)

1993 has Don Harris running things, and I think in 1984 it was W. B. Baldwin's turn

FWIW, the 97 and 73 Nats in Columbus were both hosted by IPMS Eddie Rickenbacker. The 73 chairman was Howard Glenn and the 97 chairman was Ron Bell.

2001 Chicago was hosted by IPMS/Lakes Region Scale Modelers and IPMS/Will-Cook dba IPMS/Chicago. The Co-chairs were Joseph Schock and Jack Bruno.

Ed

Registrar

Here's Dick Montgomery's list, updated. Thanks Ed and Ron.

Jim Pearsall

2017 Omaha, NE, IPMS Ft. Crook, Scott Hackney

2016 Columbia SC

2015 Columbus OH, IPMS Eddie Rickenbacker

2014 Hampton VA, IPMS Tidewater

2013 Loveland CO,

2012 Orlando FL, IPMS Pelikan, Mike Van Schoonhoven

2011 Omaha, NE, IPMS Ft. Crook, Scott Hackney

2010 Phoenix, AZ IPMS Craig Hewitt Dick Christ/Steve Collins

2009 Columbus, OH IPMS Eddie Rickenbacker T.J. Misiolek

2008 Virginia Beach, VA IPMS Tidewater Charles Landrum

2007 Anaheim, CA IPMS Orange County Jim Woody/ Nat Richards

2006 Kansas City, MO IPMS Frank Ciccorella/Kelly Quirk

2005 Atlanta, GA IPMS Northmen Paul Cotcher

2004 Phoenix, AZ IPMS Craig Hewitt Dick Christ

2003 Oklahoma City, OK IPMS Metro Rusty White

2002 Virginia Beach, VA IPMS Tidewater Bill Brickhouse

2001 Chicago, IL IPMS Chicago Jack Bruno Joe Schock

2000 Dallas, TX IPMS North Central Tx Penny & Lee Thomas

1999 Orlando, FL IPMS Orlando

1998 Santa Clara, CA IPMS

1997 Columbus, OH IPMS Eddie Rickenbacker Ron Bell

1996 Virginia Beach, VA IPMS Tidewater

1995 Albuquerque, NM IPMS Albuquerque

1994 Omaha, NE

1993 Atlanta, GA

1992 Seattle, WA IPMS Seattle

1991 St.Louis, MO

1990 Miami, FL

1989 San Diego, CA

1988 Dayton, OH

1987 Washington, DC IPMS Washington

1986 Sacramento, CA

`1985 Indianapolis, IN

1984 Atlanta, GA

1983 Phoenix, AZ

1982 St. Louis. MO

1981 New York City, NY

1980 Salt Lake City, UT

1979 Milwaukee, WI

1978 Atlanta, GA

1977 San Francisco, CA

1976 Dallas, TX

1975 Washington, DC

1974 Los Angeles, CA

1973 Columbus, OH IPMS Eddie Rickenbacker Howard Glenn

1972 Seattle, WA

1971 Atlanta, GA

1970 Wichita, KS

1969 Los Angeles, CA

1968 Washington, DC

1967 Miami, FL

1966 Detroit, MI

1965 Seattle, WA

1964 Chicago, IL

IPMS National Convention sites.doc

Dave,

Hmmm interesting listing.:smiley1:

Luckily I've been to 20 - (14 of last 15), plus the 2000 IPMS/UK International.

Several took place in cities I otherwise wouldn't have visited.They have all been GREAT! :smiley20:

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Omaha. :smiley17:

The Live Web Cams along I-80, between Des Moines, Council Bluff, and Omaha show only the usual amount of traffic, all moving normally. The travel notices show two instances of "narrow lanes" due to bridge construction...both of which will be cleared by Aug 1st. No sign of massive traffic, no sign of water, no out of the ordinary slowdowns....

A friend who just returned from the area reported that while I-29 running N/S along the river may be closed there was no noticeable effect on traffic anywhere else.

Looks like its "smooth sailing to Omaha by the Sea"......er....or by the river, whichever.

Visit the Iowa Highway site at My link and take a look.

http://www.511ia.org//

Thanks for the update/Info Dick. C'ya in 11 days.

Yes, I'm a geek. I've been having fun watching the traffic flow. It is possible to pick a recognizable vehicle and then follow it by selecting cameras along the route in front of that vehicle. I think I need to turn off my computer and go work on some plastic!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have been a member since 1972. My first convention was Washington DC in '75 and counting Omaha, have been to 24 (of 39) of them. As much as I enjoy the models, seminars, tours and the vendors, it is the membership that I enjoy the best. Making new friends and renewing old friendships is the hightlight of the event.

BTW, yours truely, Mark Young, was the chair of the 1988 Convention, hosted by the Dayton Area Plastic Modelers Society

• 8 months later...

On the two National Conventions in St. Louis (1982 and 1991), both hosted by IPMS/Gateway: George Woodard was the 1982 chairman, while Gil Godfrey had that role in 1991.

I attended as many Nationals as I could from 1988 through 2003, and I certainly wish I could make it to Orlando this year. Unfortunately, due to the economy, I can't. I have loved each and every one I've attended and I certainly miss the comraderie of my fellow modelers from IPMS North Central Texas where I was a member for many years. I hope I can attend this event next year in Loveland, Colorado. Cheers,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

Wow, last time it was anywhere close to the NE was 1981(New York)

Sad, Really.

And after hosting NorEastCon two out of three years, I told my club president that if he even though about putting in a bid for the Nats, I would break his legs... :lol:

• 4 years later...

Wow, last time it was anywhere close to the NE was 1981(New York)

Sad, Really.

FWIW, I think any convention along the I-95 corridor (I'm in NYC) would cause sticker shock with many members across the country. Forget about $100 room rates- $200 room rates went bye bye a long time ago. Add to that up to $40 a day parking and a $15 hamburger... It would have to be in a more rural area to get decent room rates, then who would want to drive hours to side attractions? And is there club(s) that would want to tackle this? I'm afraid prices here are just out of the range of a IPMS Con. Just my 2¢