1/43... 36 FORD Asphalt Modified... FINISHED...4-24-12

Hey folks....I've been thinking about doing a build in 1/43 scale for quite sometime. When Dave Fletcher posted that last yrs ART work at Billet Proof was the subject for this yrs Billet Proof....I thought I'd do a Modified Race Team. Well....I wasn't able to finish the Builds( Car...Trailer...Pull Truck) By the deadline. I haven't put it back in the box though. I'm working on it as much as I can(like always). I do have a few pics of the started Chassis and body work. I got this kit from a show and it had been started( body painted brown). I decided to use the basic chassis(side rails only) from the kit as it had the curve I was looking for at the front of the chassis. I "Z" the rear section and took the rear end from the Monogram cobra kit and made an axle along with disc brakes. The tires and wheels are from a F1 Heller kit. I ground all the detail off and made the wheels deeper. They(front and rear) will have a different hub for both. The Motor(289/327) from the Cobra kit will be used for this build. The windows and wheel wells have been hogged out but...they need a little more attention. The body will be lowered at least 3-4 scale inches also. Here are a few pics of the start....Thanks for looking folks...

th_3b75ebcd.jpgth_07e06fac.jpgth_d6e9ac83.jpgth_c3a33e62.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Gary:

Is that race team going to be in 1/43 or 1/25? That is really cool whatever scale it is. Nice job so far.

Dave

It's ALL in 1/43 Dave. Annnnd...I get myself in a few pickles with the measures every once in awhile.smiley29.gif I'm so use to using 1mm for an inch for 25th scale...that sometimes I automatically do it in 25th. But....as we know...it shows it's self pretty fast with the scale difference.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be fun to watch 1/43rd scale is my favorite looking good so far Gary.

Thank you for the look-in Gooch.....43rd is a pretty cool scale. I just received the trailers I order'd and stripping them. I want to use the GMP trailer and really Modify it a bunch for this build. I want to build a double tire rack. Maybe leave the front of the trailer open and close in the sides on the rack....still pondering that idea. I also have stripped the F-150 pickup of all it's added on stuff and am sanding it down and getting it ready for primer. I want to build a diamond plate Bulk head for the truck bed. It will go up against the back of the cab. I'm also thinking of maybe making this a semi Flatbed rig. Adding side boxes to put STUFF into and also adding a tool box and maybe a torch and tanks. Here are a few pics of SOME progress...Thanks for looking folks.. (CLICK ON PIC FOR LARGER VIEW)

th_a175d1d1.jpgth_772b64e0.jpgth_9edc1975.jpg

th_2636adce.jpgth_c46923ae.jpgth_7e96f356.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a small update...I had to re-build the chassis jig as the old one had warped and the chassis was a little tweeked at the rear. Soooo...with the new jig made I rebuilt the rear of the chassis and made a low slung type. It's fashioned after the ASA style back half of the chassis. The body was also dropped 2" to get it lower. Motor mounts where made along with new cross bracing. The wheels where made into wide 5's and the front and rear hubs where fabbed from plastic rod. Here are a few update pics.... (click on each pic for larger view)

th_f0d08823.jpgth_391aa2b4.jpgth_c245fac9.jpg

th_adc1a97b.jpgth_f11f8b10.jpgth_7ca86e9d.jpg

The next step is to make the three link style rear suspension along with coil over shocks. The rollcage and interior pan can be built along with the dash.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...there's been a little more work done on the 36 modified. The rear body panel and new trunk area has been built. The trunk lid is hinged and will open to show the rear chassis detail along with the fuel cell. The fenders have been flared and primer is just about ready to be applied. Then the putty will slapped on and then the fun begins. Here are a few pics showing the progress....thanks for looking folks...(CLICK TO ENLARGE)...

th_8f040dd8.jpgth_c4db94d4.jpgth_1ec52075.jpgth_b9b23893.jpg

Here's an update for this build folks...A fuel cell was fabbed from evergreen stock. The top was shaped from sheet plastic and the nuts are .020 wire that was glued in with CA and filed down. The filler fitting and the fuel line fitting will be fabbed and added later. The next step is to build the three link rear suspension. Then it will be all the bar work(roll cage). Thanks for looking in folks....(CLICK TO ENLARGE)....

th_b870db2d.jpgth_1ebae7a7.jpgth_2baf4b7a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks....Got a few things done....a three bar rear suspension was fabbed(the thrid bar above rearend will be added after the roll bars ahve been added).....disc brakes made along with rotors.....front upper and lower "A" arms where made....front spindles where made...all is in mock-up for pics. It's starting to look like a modified some what.... Thanks for looking in...(click to enlarge)

th_8c53dcf9.jpgth_fa1ab3c9.jpgth_ce666b49.jpg

th_dcb59220.jpgth_05b6d067.jpgth_959f1d4d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small update...The front bars and radiator support built.....basic Roll cage built...side bars are coming soon....rear bars built...Thanks for looking in folks...(click on pic for larger image)

th_57525524.jpgth_1284edd4.jpgth_7be2e38d.jpg

th_ba110632.jpgth_1f14af4d.jpgth_f1271525.jpg

Here's a few progress pics....Door bars fabbed and installed...the 5th coil built and in mock up...battery box made(not in pics)....dash board fabbed and in mockup....more to come.....thanks for looking folks....(click on pic to enlarge)

th_8c81dc1e.jpgth_089d0734.jpgth_943e8a4d.jpg

th_48447ab8.jpgth_eb653e45.jpgth_e4cd5de8.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Thanks for posting this project. Very enjoyable to watch all the scratch building in double miniature.

Nice work.

Thank you for the compliment Mark and Alyn. After seeing the breathers on the valve cover in the picture...they need to be sanded a little more. I didn't see that with the naked eye.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a few update pics...Got the bed of the truck on. The white card stock that's in the pic will be removed. I'm using diamond plate on the bed floor. Cargo box's will have end plates added. A screen will take the place of the grey plastic in front of the rear window. The duel tires in the rear where made and ready to install after paint. Tire rack and shorter ramps on trailer will be fabbed next. The rear shock mounts on the car have been fabbed. The bracket for the panhard bar will be fabbed up and then the car is ready for primer... Here's a few pics...Thanks for looking in on this build....(click on pic)

th_078d0f04.jpgth_e4414b80.jpg

th_0fc1a756.jpgth_3811da42.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well...some time has gone buy and I've managed to get a few things done. A NEW DASH was fabbed as the old one didn't look good to me. All the gauges have been built along with the bezels. The old rear deck hinges were tossed and new ones made and installed. A handle was also fabbed and added to the trunk lid. A buck(pattern) was made from balsa wood and Milliput (two part molding putty that hardens over night) for the hood. It was then Vacuum formed. The Nose piece was also fabbed and it is ready for the whole to be cut for the screen. The back sheet metal was also fabbed and installed. Two brake master cylinders(front/rear) were also fabbed and the mount holes drilled into the firewall. Here are a few pics...Thank you for looking in folks... OK...I didn't really like the way this hood looked on the car. It was a little short on the sides and the raised area was a little to high and wide. Sooo...I made a new buck and wider flat area and re-Vacuum formed a new hood. This one looks right and fits much better....I'll leave the first three old pics for comparison....(CLICK TO ENLARGE)

THE OLD HOOD....

th_68df7efc.jpgth_d1fa1cc3.jpgth_59fb53da.jpg

THE NEW HOOD.....

th_cfe49126.jpgth_43441c47.jpgth_e35b1ae7.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

• 1 month later...

Well...Here's a small update...All interior things are in primer..ie...seat...dash...fire extinguisher..etc. The body is primed and the side bars are made and in gray and putty has been laid down(after these pics where shot) It's ready for re-prime. The front nerf bars are made but are still in white. I'll try to get them and the rest of the chassis tomorrow... here's a few pics to show some progress...thanks for looking folks...(CLICK TO ENLARGE)

th_8c35ffa4.jpgth_49d92e89.jpgth_d3115aba.jpg

th_fe7c8383.jpgth_3da6bcd1.jpgth_0ab7fdb5.jpg

Hey Dan....Thanks for the look-in my friend. I will bring this build to the GSL if Susan and I can swing it next yr. Right now I'm involved with the putting on the first Annual T.A.M.S.(Tacoma Automotive Models in Scale) Fall Nationals up here in Tacoma. It's going to be Oct 7th of this year. We're not sure if we want to do this Annually or every other year like GSL. If it turns out that we have the show Bi-Yearly...it will be the opposite yr of the GSL. Did you make it up to Seattle for that Convention you mentioned to me? If so...I hope it went well.

Thank you for the compliment Jay. I'm glad it gives some inspiration. I hope to get the car finished for this Saturdays show in Vancouver Wa. But, we'll see. It's hard to rush paint cure...ya know...LOL. I've still got the Trailer and Truck to finish up.

Gary - Sorry it took me a few days to reply. The Distinguished Flying Cross Society is holding it's National Convention in Seattle August 19th- 23 at the Seattle Airport Marriot. We are still on the fence about going due to costs and other issues. I will let you know if we are going and hopefully we could met up in Tacoma? They have arranged for a VIP tour of Boeing's Everett Wash. Wide Body Assembly Plant and then to paul Allen's Flying Heritage Museum. Is that new Automobile Museum in Tacoma open yet? If so it may be another reason to come up there in August. Dan

Man...I thought that that Convention already happened....show's where my head is at. Don't say it...(LOL) I know how fast you Pilots are.... Seeing the Everett plant would be cool. The Renton Plant is a whole bunch closer. My Brother works at that plant. But....one has to go with what's laid out. The New Car Musem is more that 1/2 built. The Lemay Part of it is pretty much out of the mix, which is sad. I'll explain when we talk. Lets keep in close touch and I hope to see you up here in Aug. Gary

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite threads around . Almost hate to see it get done . Beautifully inspiring work.

Thank you Jay..For the kind words.....Here's an update...the Chassis is painted. Rack an pinion installed..wheels shot with Alclad( the centers are ready to install.. but will go in when I permenitley install the wheels). Bar pads also need to be tie wrapped. The Dash is complete along with the Battery. Those will be installed as soon as the Racing Harness is finished and put on the seat. The Headers are in the first steps of Fabrication and will be finished up when the engine is installed. The Coil Over Shocks are ready to install.. The Master cylinders are made and ready to go in. then the brakes lines will be ran to each Disc Brake. Here are a few pics...Thank you for Looking in folks....(CLICK TO ENLARGE)

th_f67d091f.jpgth_97f7aa8c.jpgth_55aac24b.jpg

th_6105a291.jpgth_f40fded1.jpgth_0e564b7b.jpg

th_5d82be4e.jpgth_13aa53f5.jpgth_3409f52a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The chassis is finished( with the exception of the roof bar..left out for pics). The engine will be dropped in next and the headers will be completed then.Then...it's body paint. Here are a few pics to see the chassis...thanks for looking in folks....(CLICK TO ENLARGE)...

th_f13722a8.jpgth_4495b55a.jpgth_116d3a70.jpg

th_f44764f1.jpgth_c419ff08.jpgth_9e1c2d20.jpg

th_094a33df.jpg th_a60b339a.jpgth_bdb25dbc.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis