1950 Retired Fire Engine

Been a while since I have been around here and been even longer since I have finished a build. Funny how the kids lives have taken mine over! But I get to have as much fun as they do so that's all right.

This took me about a year from start to finish and is the Revell 1950 Chevy truck cab. I have always wanted to do a rusted out fire truck and this one just happened to be handy. No major modifications were done really, mostly just all finish work. The firefighting equipment laying about is a mixture of resin,plastic and scratch built. The look I was going for was that of a cab that was removed off a body to replace it with a newer one and the department recycled the main part of the truck. my department has been guilty of doing that a time or two. As with most municipal vehicles when retired the markings were painted over but starting to show back through the fading cover.

5766509227_5267c97517_b.jpg

5767053546_005d500d61_b.jpg

5767053344_5be4da7702_b.jpg

5767052108_a22978cacf_b.jpg

5767052294_9147a098ca_b.jpg

5766508011_26d5f700ff_b.jpg

5767052632_929f8deae5_b.jpg

5767052872_2ab19fa897_b.jpg

5767053120_54e84a8888_b.jpg

I had a job in high school in which I had to drive an old pickup thruck similar to your fire truck. It was green, rusty, banged up, no brakes most of the time, and tons of fun to go barreling around the pastures and hills. We called it the Green Gradeux. You even got the rust right!

Love this build!

There are several of these in SD, some parked near the ads for a superb micro-brew tavern called The Firehouse. It really is the old city firehouse, BTW.

Love this build!

There are several of these in SD, some parked near the ads for a superb micro-brew tavern called The Firehouse. It really is the old city firehouse, BTW.

If its the one in Rapid, I've eaten there. Best hotwings and beer batter bread I've ever had.

That rust is just perfect. It's such an interesting looking model for such a beat up, throw away subject. Very Well Done!

Rick L.

Thanks everyone.

I agree about the chrome and am playing around with a few things for that still. Bit afraid to try anything on the model since I am thrilled how the rust turned out and don't want to ruin it!

Nicely Done Chris, it captures the look nicely.

As for the chrome, have you tried using Sophisticated Finishes Antiquing Kit? It's a 2 part system, Part A is a steel based paint, you allow it to dry then apply Part 2 which is an oxidizer. You apply it over the paint, it takes aprox 24 hours for the 'rusting' process to produce the affect you want. If you don't neutralize the oxidizer it will continue to rust, neutralizing the process requires an application of water. For something like this, water on a Q-tip will do the job perfectly.