KURTIS KRAFT 50's Midget & Trailer

This build is based off of the Monogram 1952 KK Midget kit. I remember a few yrs back that some folks thought it was a 20th scale kit. But it scales out to be 1/18th. With that in hand I went to work and built a Vintage Kurtis Kraft body and updated the safety features to run on track in the Vintage series that runs all over our Nation today. On to the build...

The Kit comes in RED plastic...so..everything that is seen in white plastic is scratch built parts.

The motor needed to have the head cut in and the two cam covers fabbed... First pic is kit part...

(CLick on Picture for larger view)

th_2.jpgth_5.jpgth_6.jpgth_8.jpg

New in/out(tranny) made along with drive line and rearend..

th_in-out1.jpgth_IO-5.jpgth_IO-8.jpgth_REAREND005.jpgth_REAREND002.jpg

Seat and Rollbar along with new nerfbars where fabbbed from evergreen plastic rod and half round..wheels and tires are made in house also....

th_Seatpics001.jpgth_t-4.jpgth_Seatpics003.jpg

Chassis was also fabbed from Evergreen rod. The first firewall was plastic..but changed to Aluminum...

th_ch-5.jpgth_ch-6.jpgth_ch-2.jpgth_ch-4.jpg

Webber side Drafts are used on this offy. I made a mold a poured these from the mold. The intake manifold was fabbed from plastic rod aslo..Radiator from parts box....The return water hose that mounts in the head is fabbed from plastic rod.

th_fm-8.jpgth_fm-11.jpgth_fm-12.jpgth_fm-10.jpg

The Rolling chassis is ready for paint at this point. That will come in the next post. Thank you for looking folks!!

Edited by GaryDavis

Impressive.......now we need you to figure out how to post Bigger pictures so we can see all that detail you added!!

Thanks Mark...the pics are supposed to be clickables. I didn't leave a note to everyone on that. It's there now though.Some are working and some aren't. I'll go back in and see what Photobucket did or I didn't do...(was probably me...go figure...eh?? LOL)

Gary,

They all seem to work now! Who'd resin do you use?

Mark

Man...As much as I've worked with photobucket and different forums...I sometimes feel like I haven't learned very much...LOL As many times as they change things....I guess I AM learning ALL the TIME...

The RESIN that I use is SMOOTH-ON. It's good stuff. It doesn't have any Oder to it all all..cures in 70 minutes for demold.

Gary:

That is going to be an interesting model when you are done. I understand that that kit is indeed a 1/25 scale model, so you can use a vintage style tow vehicle for the trailer and the car. I understand they suggest using the R/M 48 Ford Woodie or the 50 Ford Pickup as tow vehicles, even though I'm sure you might be able to use an AMT early tow vehicle. It will be nice to see how they progress.

Dave

Gary:

That is going to be an interesting model when you are done. I understand that that kit is indeed a 1/25 scale model, so you can use a vintage style tow vehicle for the trailer and the car. I understand they suggest using the R/M 48 Ford Woodie or the 50 Ford Pickup as tow vehicles, even though I'm sure you might be able to use an AMT early tow vehicle. It will be nice to see how they progress.

Dave

Thanks Dave for your interest on this build. This build is finished and it is indeed 1/18 scale. I started this build long before Revell released their 1/25 scale offy and V8-60.. They are good kits and I'll probably build both on a later date. I didn't post finished pics as I wanted to share All the modifications that was done to the OLD kit. This build is of car on the trailer ready to hook up to a tow vehicle. There won't be a tow Vehicle added later. Here's a few pics of the OLD KIT(1952) and NEW KITS(2011)...

(CLICK ON PIC'S TO ENLARGE)

th_280f3322.jpgth_c280f3f7.jpg

Here are(outside) pics of the finished car with paint and all the Alclad...

th_OS17.jpgth_OS15.jpgth_OS16.jpgth_OS18.jpg

Inside detail shots....

th_f5.jpgth_f9.jpgth_f3.jpgth_f10.jpg

These are finished build pics(as this was finished late last year). The Trailer will be posted next. Thanks for looking folks...

Edited by GaryDavis

Wow - What a sharp build! Nice nostalgia piece, seeing that kit after so many years. Nice job taking it to the proverbial next level. Absolutely superb.

Wow - What a sharp build! Nice nostalgia piece, seeing that kit after so many years. Nice job taking it to the proverbial next level. Absolutely superb.

Thank you Bob...it was one of those enjoyable builds..right from the get go.

Here are a few shots of the trailer that was built for the Midget. I started with a Trailer frame from a 24th scale Caprice kit. The reason is that... most midget Trailers are small and made to fit that particular car. As it happens...this trailer frame was a good fit. I stripped the fenders off and started with a bare frame. The short axle and leaf springs where made from evergreen strip and rod. The Tool box was fabbed from plastic diamond plate. Ladder style loading ramps are fabbed from evergreen angle and strip..(CLICK ON EACH PIC FOR LARGER VIEW)

th_94e2a58a.jpgth_057a1f37.jpgth_7b257f89.jpgth_a538b98b.jpg

The wheel wells are made from sheet plastic. Tail lights..tire rack..wheel stops on the chocks are plastic rod of different sizes..

th_25f0211d.jpgth_023eb0c2.jpgth_3cd04298.jpgth_9a2569b4.jpgth_6fe90a36.jpg

The tongue jack and electrical box are also fabbed using plastic rod and strip. All the Tires in the Rack are made in house also. The rods for the ramps are made from Stainless steel tubing with rod ends from RB Motion. Paint is Duplicolor Auto paint.

In House Shots....

th_b8bf9507.jpgth_901b196b.jpgth_37c25cb0.jpgth_475346cb.jpgth_3c87062b.jpg

OUTSIDE PICS... LOADED...READY TO HOOKUP...

th_25428892.jpgth_497e1d39.jpgth_85c495be.jpgth_82cf9496.jpgth_60bd08be.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

I had completely forgotten about that ancient midget racer. Yeah, that bugger is around 1/18 scale. I would like to try to do the 1/25 scale racer with trailer and I do have a couple trucks that might be sufficient for the tow vehicle, even though they are customs and I still have to build them. We'll see, someday.

Dave

I had completely forgotten about that ancient midget racer. Yeah, that bugger is around 1/18 scale. I would like to try to do the 1/25 scale racer with trailer and I do have a couple trucks that might be sufficient for the tow vehicle, even though they are customs and I still have to build them. We'll see, someday.

Dave

Yea Dave....that kit is pretty sparse...but it is a good platform for the scratch builder to work with. I really enjoyed building this one. I hope you tackle the 25th scale midgets as they are awesome. I'll probably build mine in a YEAR or two.. as I just finished this one this yr....LOL

This has to be seen to be truly appreciated. Gary is modest as to how this build has done in the contest he has entered it in. At the Bob Paeth Portland Classic Model Car Contest held every year in conjunction with the Portland Roadster Show we do an additional event, that being the Best of the Best. The premise of the Best of the Best is that the entry has had to of won a class 1st place or a best of or Best in Show to even be entered. It's our version of a master's class. Gary was able to enter the Midget and Trailer in the contest. It's a winner takes all event, a single trophy. This year's Best of the Best went to Gary's Kurtis Kraft Midget and trailer combo.

IMG_2025-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by fletch

• 2 weeks later...

Well...Thank you for the Comps Dave... Being able to even enter( much less win) the BEST OF THE BEST.. is a pretty cool thing. There sure are alot of GREAT builders out there that can do the very same thing at any given time. To WIN this PRESTIGIOUS AWARD.. means a great deal to me. It will always be in a place of Honor and very PROUDLY displayed.