CARGO PLANES!!!!!

Mark Aldrich

Mid Year and I have a new Project. I hope to have this completed by at least Christmas as a gift for my Grand Daughter. I am going to build a C-17A that her Daddy crews on. I'll put the cut off at December 31 but, like my MEWSIG, will leave it open if myself and others don't get it built in time. Who wants to join in and have some fun????

Mark Aldrich - McChord/JBLM Revell C-17A Globemaster III

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully someone will join me. Here's my project! The plan is to build her with the wheels down and the ramp up!

100_2151.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Mark,

I'll join you. I am seeing if a friend of mine is willing to part out his Xtradecals sheet so I can do either the Spirit of Bob Hope, Spirit of John Levitow, or Spirit of POWS & MIAS. Even though I have been retired now for eleven years I work just off the north - south runway here at Charleston AFB and they fly over my shop all the time. They call it Joint Base Charleston here as the Air Force absorbed the Navy's weapon station located nearby.

Chris,

Great! I should actually get started on mine Thursday. I have a P-51 kit I am building for my Grand Daughter and then I should be able to start it.

I'm in with a nostalgia piece: KC-135A from the old Revell kit. Not quite 1/144, but she looks OK next to the Revell 1/144 BUFF, etc.

AlertTOAD_1b.jpg

Oh man, I wish this had started some months back! I just finished two C-130 Hercules cargo planes a couple months ago!

Oh well, if I find something I'll jump in, but I believe all my cargo aircraft are completed already.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cracked open my kit but I'm going to have the cargo door opened but level with the toes installed. I have a friend who bought the Xtradecals decal sheet he has agreed to let me have the serial number of my choice if I get my kit built. You see I have been more a model collector than a builder. I will get some pictures up when I refamiliarize myself on how to do it. More to come and if you have any questions about the C-17, I still have my aircraft systems book that I got when I went through the maintenance class on the C-17. More to come!

Great! I got the main wheels assembled and attached, the wings and ailerons attached. Both of the training edges will need filler. Lots of gaps. The engiens are assembled. Hoping to do some airbrushing (need to paint the wheel wells white this week plus add the filler to the trialing edges. I think I may have gotten a malformed clear sprue. The lights for the aelerons weren't even close in size or shape. Those will be easy to fix with Crsytal Clear.

LandingGear.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Man, you are just plowing right ahead with this build! I have done the cutting to open the cargo door on mine. I plan to have the door open in the level position with the toes installed. These small parts are starting to give me fits. I have been trying to do sub assemblies and have started the main gear struts, engines, and crew entry door. The hand rail for the door in my kit is broken and I have been trying to piece it together and clean off the flash. I have to walk away every now and then so I don't freak out. A friend of mine has offered to let me do my airbrushing at his house because I really don't have a place of my own here and he has a nice booth set up. I also pulled out my October 2009 copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling that has a feature article on the kit. He went to town inside the cargo compartment of his kit adding ducting, plumbing, etc. Funny thing is he put this big chuck of lead all the way forward just behind the loadmaster station. I do like the engine covers he made for his kit. Have you seen the funky paint scheme on Qatar's jets? Different. Pictures to come shortly I hope.

Edited by ChrisjpB

Chris,

I was worried about the nose weight. Revell doesn't offer any up and mine sits pretty nose down. Of course I don't have the skin, wings, or tails on yet either.

Chris,

I was worried about the nose weight. Revell doesn't offer any up and mine sits pretty nose down. Of course I don't have the skin, wings, or tails on yet either.

Mark, if you are going to have the cargo door closed I would think there would be plenty of space to put a weight of some sort. It's funny because most instructions recommend a weight if the aircraft is a tail-setter. I reread the magazine article I mentioned and the author put a lead block inside the cargo compartment all the way forward against the bulkhead with the stairs leading to the cockpit. It's funny because he spent some time detailing the interior and has the cargo door open only to glue a lead weight in there. I'm going to put lead fishing weights in every nook and cranny I can and tape the major air frame parts and see how it sits.

Chris,

You definitely need nose weight! Test fitted the hull....ooppsss That's a TreadHead term....I meant FUSELAGE and Revell did a pretty good job. I was afraid of the lose fit of the nose wheel well and with good reason. The bottom nose gab is large. I will try fixing it by trimming the outer area. The bird does sit tail heavy. Gonna apply some buck shot to it later this evening.

• 1 month later...

Here is Friday evenings progress! The fuselage is glued from cabin to loading bay. There is a large gap still on the bottom. Hoping to reduce that this Friday.

100_3121.jpg

100_3122.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last Fridays progress! The center plate is getting attached. The gap isn't getting any smaller. It is going to be an ugly finale.

100_3155.jpg

• 3 months later...

Latest Progress. The shims seem to have held. I need to add the canopy and give it some paint to check it out.

100_4153-1.jpg

100_4152-1.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Looking good Mark! I didn't realize this was a tough bird to build.

And now I'm kicking myself. I have three transports I started some time back and I forgot all about this group Build. I'm building a C-130A, a C-160 Transall and an AN-12 Cub. All are ready for paint now. Should I still post them here for this?

Duke,

Thanks, Truth be told I am some how thinking I caused the error. There is a gap between the front of the airplane and the dashboard. Something tells me that ain't suppose to be there. It will be noticeable when the canopy is attached. Even though the wheel wells lined up in the notices as did the cargo inner hull pieces I have to assume something is still not right. Plus it appears I canted the front wheels and that was definitely not intended.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally looks like an airplane! However, I don't think I will make the cutoff!

100_4231-1.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• 2 weeks later...