1960 Ford Starliner ...work In Progress Updated 2-9

raisin27

Its been awhile since I have built a factory stock so I thought I would give it a go. Im doing a car my father bought new in 1960, and one of my favorite designs of all time. Its a very nicely detailed AMT kit. I started with the motor......its the high performance version of the big block Ford for 1960. 352 cubic inches and 360 horsepower. I added fuel lines, ignition wires, and a paper element for the air cleaner.

352right.jpg

352left.jpg

Then the chassis.......................

This chassis is extremely detailed right out of the box, but I still added brake and fuel lines, along with a parking brake assembly. The tires are from the AMT 58 Edsel kit and the factory correct full wheel covers are from Modelhaus.

60chassis.jpg

Next up will be the interior, I will post pics when thats ready.

Thanks for looking,

Raisin

Oh Yeah ! ! ! And the car guys come out swinging.

Great engine work there Raisin. I particularly like the orange boots on the sparkplug wires. It is rare to see a kit with decals for the engine other than on an air intake. Are the ones on the valve covers from the kit or your own addition?

The paper filter element is also a cool addition though it looks too clean in the photo. Some pastels could soften that up a bit.

I look forward to more more more. :smiley20:

• 2 weeks later...

Raisin:

Nice to see a familiar name here in the IPMS site. That is gonna be a nice looking Ford when you are done. I have the custom version of that kit, although I am at odds with what color to do her in. I am thinking of doing here like the one in the book "Here is your Hobby, Model Car Building". I believe it was done in a deep blue color and had enlarged rear wheel wells. What color is yours going to be??? Just curious, so I don't copy yours.

Dave Wahl

Member #46035

• 1 month later...

I havent been able to make much progress on my models lately, I went back to work (YAY!) at the begining of december and that has cut into my building.

I did paint and foil the Starliners body for the second time! This is a replica of the car my Dad bought new back in '60 and i cant believe I didnt notice that his car did not have the rocker panel moldings! So......I did a second body removing the said moldings, now I dont know what to do with the first body I made!

Anyways here it is.............

Thanks for looking,

Raisin

P1019071.jpg

P1019069.jpg

P1019077.jpg

P1019083.jpg

I havent been able to make much progress on my models lately, I went back to work (YAY!) at the begining of december and that has cut into my building.

I did paint and foil the Starliners body for the second time! This is a replica of the car my Dad bought new back in '60 and i cant believe I didnt notice that his car did not have the rocker panel moldings! So......I did a second body removing the said moldings, now I dont know what to do with the first body I made!

Anyways here it is.............

Thanks for looking,

Raisin

P1019071.jpg

P1019069.jpg

P1019077.jpg

P1019083.jpg

YRaisin:

You could always take the spare body and make either a NASCAR style racer or as an AWB style Drag car out of it. Just a couple of ideas.

Dave Wahl

Kitbashers Model Car Club

Wellsville, N.Y.

• 1 month later...

Havent felt much like building lately as my father recently passed unexpectedly. This Starliner is a replica of the car he bought new back in '60 and was to have been his birthday present this year.

I did finally get back to doing a little modeling and finished the interior yesterday.

Sorry about the poor picture quality,

Raisin

P1019075.jpg

P1019074.jpg

P1019061.jpg

P1019067.jpg

Raisin, I'm very sorry to hear of your Father's passing. Please accept my sincere condolences.

The interior looks awesome! Very nice work...and I think this model would be a nice tribute to your Father.

Best wishes...

Very sorry to hear about your loss Raisin. Your project is an excellent tribute to your Dads memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You everyone for the thoughts and words.

I got the engine bay pretty much done (yes it is wired in the correct firing order!) and the body mounted to the frame. This should be the last update. Hope to have it finished before next week so the next pics should be of the completed model.

Thanks for looking,

Raisin

P1019090.jpg

P1019098.jpg

Thanks for the low close-up of the interior and dash. Your paint and trim could pass for photos of the real thing in a Ford sales brochure. White lettering on the hoses under the hood makes a neat detail. The final result should be great.

Ed

Exceptional work. Baremetal foil is done very well.

(yes it is wired in the correct firing order!)

This seems am interesting comment to me. Like someone once gigged your kit for inaccurate firing order. :smiley22: As long as the distributor doesn’t look like an 80's haircut with a part down the middle I’d say your golden. Although, I have wired correct firing order at least once in my life.

Thanks for sharing.

Awesome! Someday I'll be able to do wiring like that, probably at the same time I master rigging 1/72 biplane models. I'm still working on the Multi Maverick. After I received the Hot Rod article, I was not sure what to do. The kits is not even close in a lot of ways. The paint job/ decals are nothing like that shown in the photos. I've recently joined the review team so my progress on other things is going to slow down. Thanks for showing your progress it shows me whats possible.

Thanks again guys, and as to the wiring Beer30, its actually quite the oposite. I have been the butt of several jokes (good natured of course) because I do the wires in the correct order. Now I have nothing against those that dont but the way I see it its just as easy to stick the wire in the right hole as the wrong one.

Thanks,

Raisin