24 Heures du Mans...this weekend!

The topic title says it all--who is going to build a car kit during this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans?

I'm not sure what I'm going to build, but I will build something...

Ralph

Well I won't be building but I'll be watching...

Very disappointed in the pace, or lack thereof, of the LMP1 Aston Martin (both 007 and 009).

A few of the Ferrari GT cars have had issues in morning shakedowns but should make the grid.

Looks to be a Peugeot vs. Audi battle for P1.

We'll see who is left running tomorrow morning (or afternoon across the pond)...

Ralph,

If it wasn't my weekend to work, I'd be up for it. Maybe next year.

I've tried to watch LM at work, but couldn't get WiFi in my building and the Gov. computer wouldn't let me watch the streaming video from Speed. :smiley19: . Plus the wife wouldn't let me record the bits while I was at work. I will record the 0600-0930 session tomorrow.

Best I can do is to work on my #24 Gordon DuPont. It's won't run at the Le Mans but that is as close as I can get.

Well Dick, there was a NASCAR Ford hat run at LM back in the late 70s.

Well Dick, there was a NASCAR Ford hat run at LM back in the late 70s.

Yep, back in the '70s they had a NASCAR division...if memory serves, not only did Holman-Moody run a Torino, but didn't Cotton Owens also run a Dodge Charger 500?

Which leads me to my build this year. I usually do a sports car model (and usually something that actually ran at Le Mans!)--previous builds have been a C5R, a Toyota GT-One, and a Sauber C9--but I didn't have anything this year that met the prime criteria: A: It was something I could reasonably get done in the alloted 24 hours, 2: Something that I could live with an OOB build of (I still have the Hasegawa and Tamiya Jaguar XJR-8 and XJR-9 kits in the stash, but I want to do those all proper-like) and C: It was close to the top of the pile. Nothing fit the bill, so I did the same thing I did for this year's Rolex 24 and built a street car. The Daytona build was Tamiya's 1/24 1999 Toyota Celica, the Le Mans build was Revell's excellent1/25 scale 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8. I took a few liberties with the paint color on the Challenger, too...

Pictures to follow, but not right now--the Canadian Grand Prix is on...

Ralph

Nice build Ralph... like the blog commentary too.

If we are all lucky, maybe Revell of Germany will get the rights to the Audi R-18.

That could be the build for next year...

Nice build Ralph... like the blog commentary too.

If we are all lucky, maybe Revell of Germany will get the rights to the Audi R-18.

That could be the build for next year...

Thanks--it is always a quick bit of fun and ensures that I'll get at least one model built every year.

As for the R-18, we can only hope--and I'm kind of surprised that Revell AG hasn't asked/sought out the rights for the Aston Martins and Peugeots, too...

R

I saw the clip of the accident...and who hasn't...it's everywhere. Racing sure has come a long way in the last 10 years. There was a time when that kind of accident would have been fatal or at least resulting in serious injury. I can't address the intelligence of the civilians who were in the turn outside of the retaining wall. While that wall may stop some of the mess some of time it clearly didn't stop everything from spilling over. Yikes!

I can't address the intelligence of the civilians who were in the turn outside of the retaining wall.

I'm pretty sure they were all course workers or credentialed photographers. Yes, it was a scary place to be, but I understand why they were there.

That's a sweet looking Challenger, Ralph! I spent the weekend in the Poconos for the NASCAR race, so I didn't get to work on anything...maybe next time.