not a tank thang ;^)

GregWise

Greg,

Not a "tank thang"!!!! It is an "Artillery thang"!!! King of Battle....the M110A2 from the looks of it! I have added a folder to the armor walkarounds here.....

http://ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/walkarounds/armor/M110A2/

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Greg,

Italeri produced two....a M110 and a M110a2 both in 1/35.....Not sure if anyone did one in 1/48.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=m110+1%2F35&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• 1 month later...

Hello Greg,

Mark is right, that is an M110A2. Well, it MIGHT be an M110A1. I've been told they exist but I've never seen one myself. The difference? If I remember correctly, the A1 was factory built as you see here while the A2 was a rebuild of an M110 to "upgrade" it to A1 standards. I believe all National Guard units got A2 models. I know our unit did. Based on your bio location and the surrounds of the picture I'd think this was at Camp Blanding or maybe a "monument" at a Guard Armory, right? Again, I think Mark is correct as I'm not aware of any in 1/48 and Italeri did both the M110 (short barrel - Vietnam time frame) and the M110A2. They ALSO did the M107 which is this basic chassis with a 175mm Gun on it. The difference? The barrel is MUCH longer. Verlinden at one point did a resin conversion to make the M110 into an M110A2. Can't comment on the quality of the Verlinden. The Italeri is not bad but, just based on the pictures you have here, you'll be able to see very limited detail in included in the kit.

Jeff

Hello Greg,

Mark is right, that is an M110A2. Well, it MIGHT be an M110A1. I've been told they exist but I've never seen one myself. The difference? If I remember correctly, the A1 was factory built as you see here while the A2 was a rebuild of an M110 to "upgrade" it to A1 standards. I believe all National Guard units got A2 models. I know our unit did. Based on your bio location and the surrounds of the picture I'd think this was at Camp Blanding or maybe a "monument" at a Guard Armory, right? Again, I think Mark is correct as I'm not aware of any in 1/48 and Italeri did both the M110 (short barrel - Vietnam time frame) and the M110A2. They ALSO did the M107 which is this basic chassis with a 175mm Gun on it. The difference? The barrel is MUCH longer. Verlinden at one point did a resin conversion to make the M110 into an M110A2. Can't comment on the quality of the Verlinden. The Italeri is not bad but, just based on the pictures you have here, you'll be able to see very limited detail in included in the kit.

Jeff

Thanks for the Info Jeff ! this thang is in Avon Park Florida

100_5291.jpg

not sure what it is but I think its cool... Mark here is the link to my album you can add it to the IPMS thing if you want.

My link

Yes, it's an M110A2 8" SPH. Last used during Desert Storm and was replaced by the MLRS for counter battery fires. After Desert Storm, the guns were sent to the National Guard and retired shortly thereafter.

The huge bunker busting bombs (GBU-28) used during Desert Storm were originally created by using the worn out gun tubes of these pieces as the body of the bomb. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-28

Hello Greg,

Jeff

The M110A1 had the plain muzzle while the A2 had a double baffle muzzle break. The plain M110 had the stubby barrel.

All of the M110/A1/A2/M107 kits are the same basic Italeri kit and have been boxed by Testors, Revell of Germany and, of course, Italeri. The Italeri M110A2 is kit #291, the Italeri M110A1 is kit #252 and the Revell of Germany M110A2SF is kit #03037.

Testors%20795%20M110.JPG

rvl03037b.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!lYE2EJY,Y-bBNqf5iFNDQ~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!lME3Hy8nbv4BOB6BhO4o!~~_12.JPG

This brought back fond memories. My father was a battalion commander at Ft Sill. He took me to a fire power demonstration where I saw them set up and fire this beast. I remember they placed the blade on the ground and revved the motor to full speed reverse till it dug itself in. Then when it fired the whole thing would raise up in the front and rock on its tracks. Very cool! Thanks for posting.

I should mention that the Revell of Germany boxing of the M110A2SF includes German Diehl style tracks instead of the standard US style the gun originally came with. Because of this, you can't build a US vehicle from the Revell kit OOB.

• 3 weeks later...