Liquid masking film

Wilky

I had sprayed a ship model with several coats of Testor's Glosscote in prep for weathering. After a good week of drying I used Hobbico Master Mask on the edges of the deck, while weathering the hull. When I removed the liquid mask I saw that it also removed the Glosscote, leaving a very noticeable ridge along the deck. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron W.

What type of paint was it? Most liquid masks are water based from my knowledge. I've used liquid mask for many applications in my automotive builds, and never had a problem like that.

Mike, sorry for the late reply but I was away for a few days. The masking was applied on top of the Testor's Glosscote. I had applied a few coats of Glosscote and the masking appears to have taken all the layers off. It didn't touch the enamel paint underneath. A person at my local hobby shop says that it has ammonia in it.

I'm not familiar with that particular liquid mask, but I do know all latex masking agents do indeed have ammonia for the solvent. Ammonia will eat into acrylic paints (and Future floor finish) guaranteed. If your Testors Glosscote is acrylic, there's your answer. I know masking liquids/ammonia won't touch Testors Dullkote because it's lacquer. Hope that helps.

I thought the Glosscote was lacquer based, but I just found out that Testors makes 2 types of spray overcoats. I finished the can, so now I am not sure but it sure did smell like the old lacquer based stuff. Made me happy until I was dragged out into fresh air! :smiley29:

Ron can you feather the edge by sanding? If not try using a little 70% alcohol on a Q-Tip, gently apply to the edge to soften and feather the edge. Then dry brush color back on the area.

Ron can you feather the edge by sanding? If not try using a little 70% alcohol on a Q-Tip, gently apply to the edge to soften and feather the edge. Then dry brush color back on the area.

I can't feather it because of all the small parts in the way. I am a little nervous about using alcohol. I have tried using 96% before, on a different model, and it destroyed it. Is 70% better?

Ron