Best Model Made - any subject

Ron

Personally, I dont think you can go wrong with anything by Hawsegawa

Aircraft - Tamiya Spitfire 1:32 - any version

Auto - Tamiya Enzo - The detail is just beyond compare and the fit is legendary.

Back around 2001, I won a Tamiya Leopard 2A5. At the time, I thought it was the nicest main battle tank I had ever built.

I also bought a few of the Fine Molds Star Wars kits, the X-Wing and TIE fighters. Easily two of the best sci-fi kits I had ever built.

Since then, the overall qualtiy of new tooled kits by major manufacturers has readily increased, but those kits stick out in my mind as a turning point in overall kit quality.

It was my experience that armor models had been hit or miss based on the manufacturer and sci-fi kits were always ill fitting with soft detail until building those kits.

Today, I find building well engineered kits a nice, relaxing hobby. While I can cut, putty and sand as well as the next guy, I prefer the kits that fall together and are a joy to build.

I guess it's like any use of your spare time; one guy may like to sit and watch the game while another wants to scale sheer rock walls. In modeling, I'm the game watcher, but can still rock climb if the mood strikes me.

As far as 1/48 aircraft go, I'd have to say either the Tamiya P-51B or their P-47D Razorback are the best kits out there. There are other more detailed kits, but I don't think you can top those two for detailing that comes with the kit and especially for the absolute "click" perfect fit of each one. Heck, the T-bolt even has the gun barrels arleady drilled out!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

My Take:

Aircraft- Academy 1/32 F-18's

Car- Tamiya GT-One

ScifFi- Finemolds 1/72 Millenium Falcon

Figures- Newmanoid Models Moonsinger

Of those, the Falcon is the best IMO- made with passion and precision

Dave

For me it would be the 1/72 Aki Blackburn Firebrand for aircraft and probably Tasca's Shermans for armor.

The Aki kit simply has to be seen to be believed. I don't know what kind of black magic they have with resin, but you'd swear the kit were injected plastic if the sprues were grey. The pour gates are so small, that many of the parts fall off the sprues in transit. And as one person said, and having built the kit, I'd have to agree, you have to actively TRY to screw it up when putting it all together.

And everyone knows about the Tasca Shermans, right?

Mike

I'll agree with Dave on the Fine Mold Mil.Falcon. Fine Mold produces some wonderful models.

Outside of Sci Fi stuff, if I had to limit my choice to one manufacturer (can't narrow it down to one model) I'd go with Wingnuts Wings. Without exception (to my knowledge) the models produced by WW are all manufactured at the highest level of quality with supporting material that is excellent. The "instructions" are more of a magazine than a set of instructions.

My Take:

Aircraft- Academy 1/32 F-18's

Car- Tamiya GT-One

ScifFi- Finemolds 1/72 Millenium Falcon

Figures- Newmanoid Models Moonsinger

Of those, the Falcon is the best IMO- made with passion and precision

Dave

And everyone knows about the Tasca Shermans, right?

Mike

Really???? Come on!!!! You know that 97% of the forum members are "Things With Wings" builders. You can't expect them to....

1. Even know what a Sherman is

2. Have a clue who Tasca is

HaHa....I crack myself up!!!

Who is this "Sherman" of whom you speak, and just in the world is Tasca? Is it a city? a country? I'll bet it is some little known submerged volcano off the coast of some insignificant little island?

My personal favorites in no particular order that were a joy to build IMHO =

Revell's 66 GTO kit

Revell's 69 Daytona

Revell's 69 Camaro

Tamiya Aston Martin DBS (most any Tamiya kit for that matter)

AMT Chevy C1500 454SS pickup

Scratchbuilt, museum-piece sailing ship models, built to original plans, by Erik Ronnberg. I have seen nothing else like this stuff on the planet, ever. Gotta be alien technology...

This is s tough one. Too many excellent models out there. Revell of Germany is doing a fantastic job with their new releases like the 1/32 Arado or the 1/72 B-17. Dragon has some really fantastic armor and naval kits out, unfortunately their instructions need some fine tuning. For WW1 aircraft Wingnut Wings is the leader hands down. Their kits are a work of art with a fantastic building manual with tons of reference pictures.

I could and did! A few of their F-4 Phantoms did not measure up. There are some gems though in that line; I especially love their small scale armor, even though they don't always stay in scale...

- Of all the genre models that I've enjoyed building (Aircraft of all scale, bikes, subs, funny cars, and even a few of those water container things, think they're called "tanks") hands done the best fitting, best detailed, best engineered and most satisfying is Tamiya's 1/32 Spitwad. (Not sure why folks have said they have had so much trouble with getting the engine panels to all fit.....mine click/snap on so easily with those little magnets that hide so well). Love it, love it, love it. So much so, that the second build is on its way. And I promise the Head Judge at Omaha this year, that I won't try to enter it 90 seconds after registration closes.

- Haven't bought one yet, but this thread is taking me to Tasc.....a.... to build one of them thar Sure-mans. Nyuck, nyuck.

Edited by Weedeater

- Of all the genre models that I've enjoyed building (Aircraft of all scale, bikes, subs, funny cars, and even a few of those water container things, think they're called "tanks") hands done the best fitting, best detailed, best engineered and most satisfying is Tamiya's 1/32 Spitwad. (Not sure why folks have said they have had so much trouble with getting the engine panels to all fit.....mine click/snap on so easily with those little magnets that hide so well). Love it, love it, love it. So much so, that the second build is on its way. And I promise the Head Judge at Omaha this year, that I won't try to enter it 90 seconds after registration closes.

- Haven't bought one yet, but this thread is taking me to Tasc.....a.... to build one of them thar Sure-mans. Nyuck, nyuck.

Did I miss an event scheduled for Omaha? I am sure I did not see "Ken's Comedy Hour" any where on the list of events!!!!! Where do we get tickets? Are seats still available? HaHa!!!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Did I miss an event scheduled for Omaha? I am sure I did not see "Ken's Comedy Hour" any where on the list of events!!!!! Where do we get tickets? Are seats still available? HaHa!!!

Did you miss my performance in Phoenix last year? (Not my most shining moment :smiley13: ). But hey, I still managed a 3rd. :D

My personal favorites in no particular order that were a joy to build IMHO =

Revell's 66 GTO kit

Revell's 69 Daytona

Revell's 69 Camaro

Tamiya Aston Martin DBS (most any Tamiya kit for that matter)

AMT Chevy C1500 454SS pickup

Mike, I'm going to have to disagree on the '69 Camaro. I'm currently building one and, although the fit is good on 85% of the parts, I have had some major fit problems on mine. Front sub frame had HUGE gaps at the side rails, rear body panel is way off (trying to figure how to fit after painting), stock wheels only fit those skinny tires. Only redeeming aspect is the interior. That is perfect. Color and texture look exactly like the camaro I had. Painting this would have ruined it. One other thing is fitting the frame after painting. Body has to be really stretched to get it in. Scary!!