Stirred, not shaken

Apologies to Ian Fleming, especially since the actions are reversed, but:

A very knowledgable friend of mine informed me that I should not shake acrylic paint prior to use. He said something about the action generating bubbles and causing the pigment to fall out of suspension...or some other chemcial type of gibberish which I did not understand.

Perhaps I've been causing problems with Acrylic and didn't know it....

Comments?

I use Gunze, Tamiya, Vallejo and Polly Scale and haven't had a problem with their paints after shaking the bottles.

If you're using Testors Acryl, all bets are off. That stuff was so bad I couldn't sell it and killed the rack in favor of WEM paints about 5 years ago.

Testor - if you can't make a superior product than your competitors, buy them out and kill the line! (Floquil Military and Polly Scale)

Dick:

Wilm it generate bubbles- yes. All paints will when shaken or stirred. Are acylics worse, yes based on the fact water has a lot to do with them but they also contain additives to defoam themselves. None of this will affect the pigments or will have them come out

Dave

Thanks... I guess I'll try an experiment... I'll just grab some paints randomly, not disturb their slumber, and shoot them on some scraps.... but my level of painting is such that even my best effort may not be distinguishable from "bad" paint!

What Dave M said. I have seen comments that shaking acrylics may cause them to dry quicker, thus increasing chance of clogging.

I've taken a middle road, acryl & enamel. I keep 3 BB shot in each bottle/tin/etc and I shake a bit just to get things loosen up -- then I stir them, mostly to be sure the paint-paint is off the bottom/sides and that I'm not bringing up lumps ....

Having just finished the latest Vallejo/Mig video on painting with acrylics, they sure were shaking their bottles vigorously before using....

I use an old Robart paint shaker to do the job since most of my paints are now Vallejo...with no problems.

That said, I do both. I stir Tamiya and shake Vallejo.