Robert L. Scott's Thunderjet AND C-47 hack

ghodges

100_3478.jpg

This is the Monogram/Revell 1/48 F-84G kit, backdated to an E with a retrofitted "G" canopy (couldn't find the "E" kit!). The kit comes with both canopies, but you have to fill in the air bleed doors on the fuselage sides, cut off the refueling probes from the tip tanks, and remove the refueling boom doors from the upper left wing to backdate the aircraft. The model was built OOTB and Cutting Edge decals supplied the markings for Col. Scott's Thunderjet. The markings for this late F-84E are basically the same as for his early E, except for the additon of the command stripes on the fuselage, the later canopy, and slightly different lightning bolts on the tip tanks.

I was less than impressed with the some of the engineering on this kit, particularly with the nose gear. It really needs a wire pin for strength. Also, the instructions are very poor for the main gear, failing to show precisely how to fit the scissors links and the gear retraction links. You'll need close up pics from some reference of the main gear to see how the parts are supposed to fit! Out side of that, the fit of the kit parts is pretty good and the detailing is very nice.

I used Alclad for the NMF and Testors True Blue for the tip tanks (a good match for the decal tail striping!) The tail stripes fit the tail quite well, while the command stripes were a bit fussy (a bit too long). The red nose flash didn't fit AT ALL, and so it had to be masked and painted. The stars/bars, stencils, and the USAF modex decals are from the kit and went down just as nicely as the Cutting Edge decals.

Overall this was an enjoyable build, and it makes a nice companion to Scott's C-47 squadron hack (in the same markings) on my shelf! Comments, questions, and critiques welcome, as always! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Great job, Gil!!

I have an original copy of God Is My Copilot signed in 1945 AND 1999 by Col. Scott. As a boy I read it many times..

Michael

I too have read Mr. Scotts book so this is of particular interest to me. Fantastic job fininshing this kit. I built it a few years back and remember the vague instructions with regard to the landing gear. It took a trip out to March AFB and a look at the real thing to figure it out. Thanks for posting some very nice work.

Nice blowtorch! Whatever the issues may have been, you won.

That True Blue looks like exectly what I may need for a Korean War Navy F4U squadron finflash. Which ALCLADs did you use here?

Von: I used Airframe aluminum overall with White aluminum for the contrasting parts, and dark aluminum for the tail pipe area. Thanks for all the kind words!

Here's a couple more pics without the annoying clutter reflecting on the base...

100_3491.jpg

100_3489.jpg

And here's the Matching C-47 "hack"...

100_3485.jpg

This is the Monogram 1/48 kit. Stripes are painted and the rest of the decals from the spares box. Scheme came from the SS Fighting Colors "USAF in Europe, vol.2" and was used '53-'54. Cheers!

Edited by ghodges