Standard USAF Colors and Markings

prinses

Hi guys,

I just started my research into standard USAF aircraft colors and markings. Since WWII the USAAF/USAF mostly used Technical Orders to specify the colors and markings used on their aircraft. There is lots of information on the 1941-1945 period and some information on the 1980-present day period, but I'm looking for information on the "in-between-period". I'm specially interested in the early releases (1964-1970) of Tech Order 1-1-4. And was wondering which Tech Orders were used in the period 1947 till 1957. Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks...

Edited by prinses

I've actually found some of these pubs online. The down-side is that you get what you pay for: Sometimes big pieces are missing and sometimes the edition you find is from an era when your desired aircraft were either discontinued from the fleet, or not yet included. If you want a specific edition or aircraft, I would bet the NMUSAF Research folks have a strong collection of these regs available.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I can help but at least I may be able to help you focus your search a little. I have a copy of Technical Manual 1-1-4. It indicates that the TO was first published in March 1978. The intro does not indicate that the TO was meant to replace any previous standard. It simply says that it is meant to standardize the painting and markings of Air Force aircraft.

Monogram Aviation Publishing started a series of books about the Air Force colors. It appears that only volume I (1908-1941) got published. Since Eagle Editions purchased Monogram, you might want to contact them to see if they intend to publish the remaining 3 volumes.

My guess would be that the end of WW II practices continued in place. Some specific changed may have occurred and these were reflected in TO 1-1-4.

As always, we need to find photos of the specific model that we are building.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I can help but at least I may be able to help you focus your search a little. I have a copy of Technical Manual 1-1-4. It indicates that the TO was first published in March 1978. The intro does not indicate that the TO was meant to replace any previous standard. It simply says that it is meant to standardize the painting and markings of Air Force aircraft.

Monogram Aviation Publishing started a series of books about the Air Force colors. It appears that only volume I (1908-1941) got published. Since Eagle Editions purchased Monogram, you might want to contact them to see if they intend to publish the remaining 3 volumes.

My guess would be that the end of WW II practices continued in place. Some specific changed may have occurred and these were reflected in TO 1-1-4.

As always, we need to find photos of the specific model that we are building.

Clare, all that date means is that is the date of that primary basic book, My copy's is change 4 dated 31 Jan 1997 of basic revision dated 14 May 1994