Broken Promise Land

ajlafleche

Here is my interpretation of Andrea’s 54mm “King of the Road,” Andrea-WY02.jpg which I’ve titled “Broken Promise Land.” This is from the song “Borderline” by Ry Cooder. The kit is part of Andrea’s collection of figures based on Norman Rockwell artwork. As presented, the figure is somewhat light hearted, almost clownish with a broken straw hat and a splayed out cigar in his mouth. I switched the hat for a Shenandoah ACW era slouch hat and left out the cigar. He also has a newspaper for his right coat pocket which was not used. Instead, I used a cut down bottle tinted green.

I expanded the base significantly trying to evoke a feeling of a dust bowl refugee. The fence is custom made from balsa wood and stained in grays. The tree is from Armand Bayardi. The rats and the can are Plus Models resin castings. The rusted plate and the crates are from Tamiya kits. The signs on the fence are wine bottle foil to which I attached 1930’s graphics. This was the same source for the labels on the crates and the wanted poster from the Lindbergh case. The large KEEP OUT! sign nas been turned back to allow unauthorized access to the land beyond the fence. It was also “shot” with both bullets and buckshot. I used a couple different ground cover products from Military Miniatures Warehouse and Scenic Express over Celluclay. The tire is from an Italeri trailer. I cut the rim out and sanded down the tread. The flame is Woodland Scenics water effects painted in yellow and orange.

Rust effects were done by mixing ModelMaster Burnt Iron metalizer paint with shavings from reddish brown pastel chalk applied by brush.

DSCF9823.jpg

DSCF9830.jpg

DSCF9828.jpg

DSCF9826.jpg

DSCF9825.jpg

DSCF9824.jpg

DSCF9822.jpg

DSCF9820.jpg

DSCF9819.jpg

DSCF9818.jpg

DSCF9817.jpg

DSCF9815.jpg

DSCF9814.jpg

DSCF9813.jpg

DSCF9811.jpg

DSCF9810.jpg

DSCF9809.jpg

DSCF9808.jpg

DSCF9812.jpg

DSCF9816.jpg

Al,

Beautiful work! You should throw a couple of those up in this months Figure Theme pics Topic as well!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I'm always fascinated by the atmosphere one can create with a diorama. You've certainly done that here. Makes me want to give the guy a few bucks! Very nice work.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...