Chrome Paint?

Hey, guys. I am currently working on an AMT Ertyl Diamond REO tractor and have run into a problem. This model comes with lots of chrome. There are 5 running lights which go across the top of the cab. Now the problem--As CAREFULLY as I could, I cut them off the tree but the sides now have small areas where the chrome is gone. Does anyone make a paint that is as bright as chrome that can be brush applied ot should I just remove the rest of the chrome and paint them? I was thinking along those lines since I am thinking of painting the rig like some of the older ones--green body and black fenders--and I was thinking of black lights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, Alclad makes a chrome finish paint but you need to airbrush it on.

Eric

I thought about that but these lights are pretty small for airbrushing I think. Besides that, I am fairly new in this modeling and...I don't have an airbrush :smiley19: I'm still quite aways from installing them, though, so maybe I can come up with an airbrush. Need one anyway for all my models. Thanks Eric.

Go to any home improvement center and look in the spray paint section. There is almost always one brand that has a "chrome" paint. Follow the directions and put it on lightly and evenly and it will make a convincing chrome. However, it is VERY soft and never really hardens. Let it sit for sereral days , if not a week, before handling it and never put any real pressure on it and you cannot mask over it. Like almost all paint, it works best when the surface has been prepared well and primered. It will not, however, exactly match other chrome in the kit. You may find it best to remove all chrome and paint it all so it matches. Also in this way, you can remove mold seams, etc.

Hi, Jim,

This is old school style solution: Cut a very narrow strip of Chrome Bare Metal Foil and apply it directly over the bare plastic on each side of the light housing. I used this technique on my AMT Peterbilt Wrecker (see that thread for the photos) to repair EVERY chrome piece on the kit. When you burnish down the foil, the edges blend into the good chrome plating and virtually disappear. You will like the results. :smiley20:

Ed

Model Master also makes it in 1/2-oz. bottle & spray can. your local hobby shop "should" have it

:smiley16: Hey, guys, thanks for all the advice. I only have two problems:1) old eyes have trouble with detail even with my 3.50 reading glasses, and 2) don't have a hobby shop anywhere nearby that is dedicated to modeking. Used to have one but owner retired and closed store. I may try the foil except these are fairly small (for my eyes) and hard to handle. I am leaning strongly to the remove chrome and paint idea. Speaking of seeing small details, what do you use to see the details? I have considered those lighted magnifiers you wear. Any thoughts would be appreciated. (What a segue--chrome to eyes :smiley16: ) Thanks for all the feedback.

PS I LOVE these forums!!!

Tim, I just noticed you are from Sumter, ,SC. Small world, I have inlaws that live there and we visit every couple of months. Any good hoppy shops in Sumter? Nice chatting with you.

As to the eye deal, one word....Optivisor. I cannot model without mine and it works a treat. Available in several strengths lighted and not.

Jim,

Sorry, but we have no hobby shops in Sumter, we only just got a Micheals last year. If we need kits or supplies, it means a road trip to Columbia, there is a HobbyTown on Two Notch & on Broward Parkway (Harbison) and a local hobby shop on State Street in West Columbia nhear the State Museum.

Have a safe trip down, if you can, drop by one of our meetings, 6PM on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at the County Library on Westmark Blvd, next to SAFE Federal Credit Union.

Tim

:smiley16: Hey, guys, thanks for all the advice. I only have two problems:1) old eyes have trouble with detail even with my 3.50 reading glasses, and 2) don't have a hobby shop anywhere nearby that is dedicated to modeking. Used to have one but owner retired and closed store. I may try the foil except these are fairly small (for my eyes) and hard to handle. I am leaning strongly to the remove chrome and paint idea. Speaking of seeing small details, what do you use to see the details? I have considered those lighted magnifiers you wear. Any thoughts would be appreciated. (What a segue--chrome to eyes :smiley16: ) Thanks for all the feedback.

PS I LOVE these forums!!!

Optivisor! these are a bit more expesive but they are top quaility and you can select different lenses up to 10 dioptors and there are a couple of lighting options that work very well. As my eyes have matured(yea, nice eupomisis for getting old) I have gone from 3 to 5 and now 7 is my norm. As I said they are not cheap but I really think they are worth the money.

http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Binocular-Magnifier,6711.html

http://www.micromark.com/Quasar-Lighting-System-for-Optivisor,8608.html

Shoot didn't know they made them up to 10! I also am using a 7 now and have the 4 in reserve.

As to the eye deal, one word....Optivisor. I cannot model without mine and it works a treat. Available in several strengths lighted and not.

Ditto - !!!