WWI armor and vehicles

Wilky

Is Emhar the only company making WWI armor and vehicles or are there others?

Thanks,

Ron W.

What scale kits are you looking for (1/35, 1/48, 1/72)?

Also, are you only asking about plastic kits, or would you consider resin/multi-media kits?

Edited by Warwheels

RPM does a fairly comprehensive line of FT-17 based kits. They also do several Model T armored cars and stuff like that. I know they do a Mack truck hauler of some type in 1/72 scale. I do not know if they had a 1/35 scale version. Many of the kits they did in 1/72 were repeated in 1/35.

Patrick,

I am looking for any scale. Right now I am more into plastic, as I am trying to increase my skills there, but I will look at other media as well.

Ron W.

RPM does a fairly comprehensive line of FT-17 based kits. They also do several Model T armored cars and stuff like that. I know they do a Mack truck hauler of some type in 1/72 scale. I do not know if they had a 1/35 scale version. Many of the kits they did in 1/72 were repeated in 1/35.

Rob,

Thanks for the info on these models. Didn't know about them. Do you have any experience with them, if so how are their models as far as accuracy and quality?

Thanks,

Ron W.

Emhar does a Mk IV male and female, a Mk IV Tadpole and a Whippet all 1/72 and 1/35. They do an A7V in 1/72. Tauro models does an A7V in 1/35. Airfix does a sort of Mk I in 1/72 (it's sort of a Mk I with some Mk II traits as well.). RPM does all those model T's in 1/72 as well as the FT-17s. They also do a 1/35 FT-17, which you can see over in the armor topics on this Forum. I think someone has got a Rolls Royce armored car, but I can't recall the maker. If you go resin, some English companies, such as Milicast and Matador, have a much wider variety.

Emhar does a Mk IV male and female, a Mk IV Tadpole and a Whippet all 1/72 and 1/35. They do an A7V in 1/72. Tauro models does an A7V in 1/35. Airfix does a sort of Mk I in 1/72 (it's sort of a Mk I with some Mk II traits as well.). RPM does all those model T's in 1/72 as well as the FT-17s. They also do a 1/35 FT-17, which you can see over in the armor topics on this Forum. I think someone has got a Rolls Royce armored car, but I can't recall the maker. If you go resin, some English companies, such as Milicast and Matador, have a much wider variety.

Resicast does a 1/35 Rolls Royce Armoured Car in resin. Roden has a 1/35 1914 RRAC in styrene out, but I haven't seen it in the states yet.

Rob,

Thanks for the info on these models. Didn't know about them. Do you have any experience with them, if so how are their models as far as accuracy and quality?

Thanks,

Ron W.

Tricky, fiddly builds, but I've seen them look pretty good when done. They are made like the actual vehicles; lots of flat pieces that you have to align. They also do an individual link track set that requires 4 pieces per link, but the included tracks are one piece vinyl. All the kits are virtually the same, just added pieces for whichever variant the box art calls for. Because of this, some kits have inaccuracies.

Wilky, I agree with the other guys in what they have mentioned being available in plastic, which isn't much as you've seen. Even the "between wars" period is barely covered. But, if you ever consider going into resin, there's a bit more things to choose from... but it's more expensive and hit or miss in terms of quality too.

Edited by Warwheels

Guys thanks for the help on this. Now I have some more choices I didn't know of before. Rob, that Landships website is a huge help.

This guy has one of the 1/35 FT-17 kits for sale. He's a pretty stand up guy and is well know on armor modeling sites for his photo gallery CD business.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/409173/thread/1306216862/1-35+kit+list+updated+w-more+plastic%2C+PE%2C+and+resin.

I have built 2 of the 1/72 RPM Mack trucks and am working on my 3rd. I will build the other 3 that I know of. They are a PITA but look very good when completed. They average over 100 parts with the tanker coming in at 120.

MMK makes a 1/35 scale version of the Mack (again WWI). This is resin with photoetch. I will start it after the 1/72's. Once I complete it, I plan on doing 4 or 5 of the 1/24 Monogram Macks. I love the old Macks.

Andy

Commander Models has recently released a 1/35 scale Ford 3-Ton Light Tank-their kit #1-016. It was designed during WWI and ordered, apparently, in large numbers. The order was cancelled with the Armistice. It is beautifully molded. Nick

Andy, I can't find the Monogram trucks. Are they still being produced? Thanks for the info on the RPM trucks. Sounds like I had better start on something easier, but I am going to get them for my shelf now!

Nick, that Commander Models Ford is an interesting subject. Thanks for the note on that.

Ron W.

I am glad I had posted my question because I have a lot of kits out there that I didn't know existed. Thanks guys!

• 4 weeks later...

Wilky,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been out of town.

I bought the RPM kits through Squadron. They were not listed in the last flyer I received, but they may still have them in the warehouse.

I have bought the Monogram trucks over the last decade as they were released as part of the SSP program. The last issue was a tanker and I bought that on vacation last year in Tacoma Wa. It was not to be found around here. There were also a dump truck, and log truck released. I found an original issue stake-bed (1973) in Atlanta at a show some years ago. Hope this helps.

Happy hunting,

Andy

Wilky,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been out of town.

I bought the RPM kits through Squadron. They were not listed in the last flyer I received, but they may still have them in the warehouse.

I have bought the Monogram trucks over the last decade as they were released as part of the SSP program. The last issue was a tanker and I bought that on vacation last year in Tacoma Wa. It was not to be found around here. There were also a dump truck, and log truck released. I found an original issue stake-bed (1973) in Atlanta at a show some years ago. Hope this helps.

Happy hunting,

Andy

Yes, for the most part. I had 4 days of rain in Port Angeles and a heatwave in Seattle. This was the end of June (rain) and beginning of July (heatwave). Olympic National Park was completely fogged in the day I visited. Even with bad weather at times, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. You can't control the weather! And, no use complaining.

Andy

Beautiful country!

Hi Wilky,

Update: I received a Squadron flyer today and on page 27 they list a RPM 1/72 Mack tanker.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I looked on line and didn't see the Mac truck but I did see other RPM models I want! I will have to wait for the flyer to come in the mail.

Ron W.