Dream Model Turns into nightmare.

campingramps

I have always wanted Monograms B17 since the first time I saw it years ago. Well, I finally broke down and bought one at a bargain. The kit LOOKED fine when I first opened the box and the build started smoothly. Work on the interior went along rather smoothly and I was kinda happy and proud of the overall look. Then I started and completed the belly turret. That was fine until I fitted it in the floor. Very loose and sloppy fit. The mount on the turret needed to be thicker. I tried to take it out but one of the little hold in tabs started to break and I didn't want to risk messing it up completely so I left it in. Next was the windows. Not only were they hard to get in properly, but they were not sized correctly and some fell out when I did a test fit. There is barely enough to catch let alone glue. Everything went downhill from there. Front observation dome in front of canopy didn't fit, fuselage halves seemed to be different thicknesses, tail wheel mount and tire are one piece-no seperate wheel and tire, and other issues that have turned this into a real nightmare. This model has been sent to storage until I get up the nerve to pull it out again, cut open the fuselage and basically start over. Anyone else had this experience?? I am devestated that my dream has turned ugly.:smiley7::smiley11:

Anyone else had this experience?? I am devestated that my dream has turned ugly.:smiley7::smiley11:

Yea, sounds like my last marriage.... I think we've all had those...Looks like it's going to be great, something to be proud of, then little things start happening, but you think, I can get past this glitch and make it work. So you keep plugging away, then it's just one thing right after another, then it's What the hell was I thinking..... Then next thing you know you're putting it aside looking for something else. Yep, been there, done that. There are about twenty boxes of frustrating plastic in my stash right now. there's really not much chance of going back to them either.:smiley21:

The 1/48 Monogram kits of that era-including B-24, B-25, B-26, B-29, etc. all suffered from the same syndrome: great looking in the box, but try putting it togther! If you really want to suffer, try the 1/48 C-47. I do not know where Monogram went awry in kit design in the '70's, because in the '60's their kits fit great. Most of my modeling friends wouldn't bother with them now-too much like work! Nick

The 1/48 Monogram kits of that era-including B-24, B-25, B-26, B-29, etc. all suffered from the same syndrome: great looking in the box, but try putting it togther! If you really want to suffer, try the 1/48 C-47. I do not know where Monogram went awry in kit design in the '70's, because in the '60's their kits fit great. Most of my modeling friends wouldn't bother with them now-too much like work! Nick

Know what you mean, Nick. I've built the '24, and '25 and have the '29 in the box. Like you said, they look good but then the nightmare starts. Have the old DC-3 (Eastern Airlines configuration) and this one had a serious fuselage warpage issue but I think that was caused by sitting for quite a few years subject to extremes in heat and cold in my uninsulated garage. I am not surprised in the poor quality of the newer issues, though, since they are no longer made in the US. I have three Monogram aircraft kits left but they may sit on my shelf and collect dust for quite awhile.

I've been helping a guy long distance with a Monogram Skyraider. He's having issues too, but initially I wrote them off to his being a complete newbie. Then out of curiosity and frustration I went through my stash and dug out the relic that I had buried away. From what he has described, he and I have different boxes i think, but probably the same kit. Mine says 1980, and by what he is going through, and what I see, I'm thinking Monogram was still going strong in the FUBAR business. One of the biggies is the right fuselage half. Instead of being separate add-on parts, there are two blade antennas molded in, and as they are full thickness, they extend across the seam parting line. Not knowing this, I had been instructing him to lay the whole fuselage half flat on a sheet of sandpaper to get seam surfaces flat and smooth. He told me this wasn't going to work, which didn't make sense until I pulled out my Skyraider ("Excuse me while I whip this out!"). Somebody was smokin' something that day.... The other WTH?! is two inboard wing rack mounted items that I can't identify. They almost appear to be aux fuel tanks, but the box art and instructions would have you paint them red or reddish orange. Aside from not knowing what they are, they have the rack mount molded with them, making them more than a little difficult to paint. He has mentioned liking Monogram kits :blink: so I think I'll send him this one as well. After the lessons learned from the first one, this should go much more smoothly.

Just remember that with patience and good luck, you can turn a Monogram bomber into a beauty like this....

100_1275.jpg

"Just remember that with patience and good luck..."

And therein lies the problem..... This is why I'm letting others do the modeling from now on. I'll watch quietly from the sidelines, help out a new guy once in awhile...it's all good..

Jim...I feel your pain. I've got more than one kit sitting on the shelf of doom despite the dreams.

Mark, whoever built that B-29 is a better man than I. IF I ever get around to finishing the one I started, I'm pretty damn sure it will be a camo'ed bird!

Mike

Bill Glinsky from NOPMS in Port Townsend built it. Even won the Tacoma Green Dragons "Best Bare Metal Finish" award at the recent Seattle show this year.