Fire Extinguishers

Grant

Recently I built a kit of a Dragon 251/10 D.

The directions called out a red fire extinguisher. I liked the red color because it broke up the interior a bit, but I've always painted the extinguisher the hull color. At a recent show, the armor judges were mocking the redness of my extinguisher.

What's the verdict? If not red, what color would the be if not painted along with the hull...axis or allied?

Hint: Always avoid listening in on judging of your own stuff at a competition. It may frustrate you. I happened to hear all of this because I was across the table judging aircraft.

A few years ago on Armorama (IIRC) there was a thread about this. I seem to remember pictures of the 2 rear (Interior) extinguishers on the 251 being a green color. I, like you, use red to add a little color to the model, and we are in good company. Pat Stansell of MMiR gets a lot of comments for doing the same thing. Since all color shots I have seen are of restored vehicles, and I've seen both red and green, I say go with your gut.

Guest Bun E. Carlos

You are all RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! In regards to the JUDGING.......................I've alwayzz instructed Judges to be COLOR BLIND in judging. Unreal how things progress to the point.................well..............thats another battle, isn't it :)

Unfortunately, Judges are not always the subject matter experts. I have seen models win with some outlandish camouflage schemes over the entire vehicles before. I guess you can go with the "If they had to look THAT close to decide a winner" theory then you are building great! It reminds me of a story when we approached the Fort Lewis Museum to do a display. The curator said that was fine but we could not display any unbelievable paints schemes like FW-190s with red and white stripes. Even though these were actually used.

Mark

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. I'll keep with the red, but green sounds fun also.

When it comes to odd-ball judging, I usually think ahead to the next show...too bad this one is in February...3.5 months from now.

Grant