Sopwith Camel by Academy

I've been doing some research on Roy Brown's Sopwith Camel paint scheme and I settled on what I thought would be acceptable and proceeded with the w.i.p. In the last week I've been working with the wood-grain and have managed to get to a point at which I think the appearance is acceptable. Much more experience is necessary to make the wood grain "authentic" in appearance but one must take that first step and that is where I am at this time.

Anyway, here we are.

SCrightside.jpg

SCleftside.jpg

SCleftfront.jpg

Love it!

A suggestion: Apply that wood grain pattern to a practice part. Cover with 3-4 coats of Tamiya clear orange (more darkens it) and decide whether you like the effect.

I plan on shooting it with Tamiya Clear Orange. I've done that to the prop and will hit the fuselage "plywood" as well.

I'm also experimenting with a lighter base color for the next project.

Thanks Mark. Its a learning experience and its a fun project. I shot the very thin coat of Tamiya Clear Orange on the "plywood" today and, as hoped, it gave the "plywood" area much more of a natural wood appearance. I hope to have this wip ready for rigging in about 10 to 14 days. We'll see. One feature about the Academy kit is that the model has the rigging attachment points pre-drilled. The "holes" are molded in.....or out, as the case may be. That makes life a bit easier.

After the application of a thin overcoat of Tamiya Clear Orange airbrushed over the paneling it is easy to see how that improves the appearance of the "wood panel".

MVC-046S.jpg