A Weekend at Noreastcon 40

Phantomphreak

I thought I'd redo this post to include my experience from the past 2 days. I made the trip yesterday afternoon to register for this show and get my projects on the table. I also made my round through the vendro market as well to see what good bargains I might find before the big crowds hit. I was somewhat surprised at the number, or lack thereof, of entries I saw yesterday. I guess for some reason I expected a huge throng of modelers to be buzzing around and fighting for space on the tables to display their models.

I will say that every IPMS staff member I dealt with both days was more then welcoming and I was indeed pleased and felt much more comfortable the more time I spent there with everyone. I was worried I might be snubbed, if you will, for not being an IPMS member but if anything, I feel I was welcomed even more and it went a very long way in persuading me to join the IPMS family of modelers.

After displaying my models last night and making my rounds through the vendor room, I called it a night and we made the trek back home. We went back down today and I was pleasantly surprised to see many more models, especially aircraft and armor filling the tables. I spent a few hours examining all the various projects on display, paying particular attention to the aircraft and armor kits as I will be expanding my horizons into these subjects. While there was still alot of empty space on the tables, the models that were on display were stunning to view. The weathering, accuracy and detail was simply amazing and I can only hope when I start building these subjects I do half as good a job as I saw today.

To sum up the past two days, I can say it was a very pleasurable experience and I found it very enjoyable. Only one thing I regret is that there weren't more models on the tables as I expected. I am hoping the next IPMS event that is held by the local chapter brings more participants. The inspiration I got this weekend seeing this work is something i've needed for quite some time to earnestly get back into the hobby.

I want to thank the Northeast New York IPMS Chapter for putting on a 1st rate show and also for showing great hospitality and making my family and myself feel welcome. I will definitely be joining the IPMS ranks this coming week.

I am in the process of uploading 265 pics from this weekend's show and will post the link once the images are uploaded. Stay tuned...

Edited by Phantomphreak

Here is the link to the photo album of this weekend's show. I know some of the pics aren't the best and my photography skills definitely need help, but I hope y'all enjoy the images all the same...

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/AMMWebsite/Noreastcon%2040/

I would like to thank Brian for his kind remarks and I hope he really did have an enjoyable experience and is not simply being polite! To be honest with him and the Society, we were a little dissapointed in the turnout of registrants and, hence, the number of entries. We had 81 registrants- down from c. 105 in 2008, when we put the show on at the same venue. In 2004, when we first put on the show on there, we had c. 120 registrants. This year, there were only 288 entries on the contest tables- a low number ( although the quality was high) for a Regional show. By show time' the Vendor Room looked full, but if we removed the Show raffle tables and the local and regional IPMS members who rented tables to sell off some of their "stash," the number of commerial vendors was about 25% less than 2004. We were VERY grateful for the support of these commercial vendors who had great stuff at great prices and were VERY generous in their donations to our raffle. But-and this is a big but- these trends are disturbing and do not bode well for the future of Noreastcon without a radical rethinking of the format of the show and the expectations of the participants. Nick Filippone, Noreastcon 40 Convention Chairman. P.S. Congratulations to Brian on his achievements in the Contest- I recall reading his name several times at the Awards Banquet!

Nick,

I honestly did enjoy the show and I will say I was extremely humbled by being recognized for my efforts in the hobby. People always told me if you manage to win in an IPMS sponsored event, you have hit the "big time" and are "playing with the big boys". I was actually numb when i went in to collect my models and found out my work had been recognized they way it had. I also got a TON of inspiration from seeing the unbelievable work on the tables and can't wait to get out of my comfort zone and tackle subjects that are totally new to me.

One huge regret I had was not having the foresight to get tickets to the banquet beforehand. Hard lesson learned and I will not make that mistake again. My membership has been sent in to join the Society and I look forward to making many new friends and getting to know the local IPMS members better in the future.

On a sidenote, when I went to the show this weekend, I could count the number of aircraft and armor kits I owned on one hand. As the following images can attest, you can see i enhanced my aircraft and armor collection just a tad thanks to the great prices and selection at the show.

005.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by Phantomphreak

Thanks for the pics Brian, and congrats on your "haul", both on the contest table and from the vendors area!

Nick makes a salient point that those of us who help organize shows are going to have to be much more judicious in the future. With fewer vendors able to travel as often, and less financial support (from fewer vendors and attendees), many will be hard pressed to continue to hold shows, or keep their present venues. We'll just have to adjust to the tougher economic times like everyone else.

You, as members, vendors, and attendees can really help out by making it to all the shows you CAN afford, and also letting the hosts KNOW that you'll be there! The recently cancelled Atlanta show had to give up their venue because of a lack of commitment from vendors. This is NO fault of the vendors, as THEY have to conserve resources and make more last minute decisions. I believe that IF Atlanta had gambled and still held the show (providing they could financially even try it) they would have don OK. It's a popular and well located event. However, no one can fault them either for NOT gambling their club's hard earned and valuable treasury.

Case in point: A few years back we held Jaxcon at a local hotel instead of our regular University Center facility; AND made it a 2 day event (as requested by many). We missed making our room nights requirement by 5 people; just FIVE people! THAT was the difference in making a profit and actually taking a small loss, as we had to pay the hotel 5x$79 for the missed room revenue. Yea, we all know how many of us attend shows and pick the cheapest motel nearby to save a few bucks. However, I also think that most attendees do NOT realize how razor thin the profit/loss margins are for most shows. That margin is even thinner in today's tougher economy!

GIL :smiley16:

I completely agree with you Gil. One thing we hated was having to drive 2 and half hours each way both Friday and Saturday. But, when we tried to make reservations at the host hotel, we were given a "discounted" price of almost $170 for ONE NIGHT!!!! :smiley22: Could we have paid the price and stayed the one night? Sure we could. But, if we did, then we would have no money to eat, spend in the vendor area, etc. It's all a matter of choices really.

We used to make the annual pilgrimage to the NNL East every April. However, over the past 3 years, the money just hasn't been there to support the event. By the time you pay for 2 night's hotel stay, food for 3 days total, gas and tolls to make the trip, it adds up really quick.

As much as we hate to say it, this economy IS having an effect on this hobby and it's not a good one. People just don't have the money to make the long trips and the clubs aren't making the money needed to host events in more convenient locations, if at all. This is the first show I've been to in 4 years. I miss the comraderie of attending these events and I truly enjoyed the time I was able to spend this past weekend getting to see some unbelievable work and meeting some great hobbyists. I know I will make every conscious effort to ensure this event continues to be held and that we keep the attendance close to where it is, if not better.

We called about reservations a couple weeks ago Nick. Yes, we did use the code and we were told that was the discounted price. Normal price for one room was $185 per night. I actually called a second time to make sure and it was the same price both times we called. My wife called the first time I called the 2nd time.

Brian, I checked with the hotel. By that time the only rooms available were the large suites with jacuzzi, kitchen,etc. These are much more expensive. The hotel had already sold out the ordinary cheapest and most numerous rooms. Two weeks before an IPMS convention, whether Regional or National, is way too late to be assured a cheap room! If you are looking forward to attending these events in the future, always make your reservations as early as possible. The experienced IPMS convention go-ers have all had to learrn this lesson the hard way as well. Regards, Nick

This year show was as usual well planned and well run. Nick's group is top knotch. I as all had a great time again this year. I arrived late on Saturday around 12:15. So I was not able to really make any rounds in the vendor room. I did take home several awards to be added to my I Love Me Wall. I agree that the hard time's are playing a part in the low turn out this year, but there are other things to think about also. For one this was a big college graduation weekend. I know we had at least eight in Vermont hold graduations and in the Albany area I believe there was some also. Nick and his group I am sure will look at all of this and pass it along to the Long Island group that will be holding next years show. I will not be attending next years because I will be saving for the Nationals in Orlando. But to those that do go next year I can say you are in for a treat. The event is held at the historic Republic air museum. I attended last year and had a ball. Brian sorry I missed you at the Noreastcon, but I am very glad that you had the great time you had.

Chris

Brian, you sould have called me!! I would have gladly given up my room for one with a jacuzzi and other extras!!!! I didn't know they had rooms like that in Schoharie!!! LOL!!

Glad to hear you had a good time. I judges some of your cars, and they were very well done. Hope to see more of you in the future.

Semper Fi

Doug

Thanks Doug. I will be around alot more, that's for sure. I appreciate the compliments about my work as well. I was humbled when I walked in and saw what had one and how high they had placed. I never considered my work to be of the caliber that I saw this past weekend, that's for sure.

Even though i enjoy my automotive projects, my passion for building those subjects has waned considerably. Hence, the reason I'm branching out into the armor and aircraft section of the hobby. I do know it will be a very long time before my work on those subjects will be of the caliber I saw this weekend, that's for sure. Simply beautiful work all the way around!