Question about italeri jagdpanzer 38(t) hetzer

sumterIII

I picked up the 1/35 Italeri jagdpanzer 38(t) hetzer kit at the club raffle last night and found Eduard has a PE set for it. Two questions is it worth buying the PE set and is the Italeri kit an early or late version?

I'm not an armor guy so any help would be great.

Thanks

Edited by sumterIII

The 1996ish Dragon kit made the Italeri Hetzer obsolete. I remember a friend literally giving me his old Italeri kit after buying a DML one. I was stationed in Alabama at the time so I am guessing it was around 1996 or 97.

The Italeri kit might be sound for the hull only. The roadwheels HAVE to be replaced at a minimum.

The Italeri kit might be sound for the hull only. The roadwheels HAVE to be replaced at a minimum.

Do you know of a source for these?

Assuming you REALLY desire to use the italeri kit, find someone that has the instructions to a Tamiya 38t vehicle and get the sprue number and call Tamiya USA to see if they have the sprue available! Otherwise,

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmodels/

Maquette makes a set of 38t road wheels and single link track, but I do not think they are proper for a Hetzer. The Hetzer has a larger wheel diameter.

Maquette makes a set of 38t road wheels and single link track, but I do not think they are proper for a Hetzer. The Hetzer has a larger wheel diameter.

See,

I did not know that! Learned something new today!!!!!

That was one of the common complaints about the Italeri 38t kits. All three (38t, Marder and Hetzer) used the same suspension sprues, but the experts knew there were size differences.

Unless you can get the PE for next to nothing, pouring good money into a dated kit will end up with a dated kit costing as much as the newer, up-to-date kit. For the price of the Tamiya suspension sprues and the Eduard PE, you're closing in on the price of the decent Dragon kit that many guys sell to pay for the better Tamiya kit.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips, looks like I will go OOB build for this one. Good practice kit.

Thanks again

I think this is the more prudent way. Have fun with it and the next one will come out even better. Eduard also makes a Hetzer with a complete interior, including the engine. I purchased mine at my LHS for under $40. It even brings the crew figures and tons of PE details.