SCUD Missle Kit

Phantomphreak

This past weekend my better half happened to stop at a tag sale and found a model kit of the SCUD Missle Launcher from Dragon. It's in 1/35th scale and seems to be a pretty impressive kit with a lot of parts. has anyone built this kit and is there any decent reference sites for this subject?

I would like to paint and decal it to replicate an Iraqi unit from Desert Storm as it does have Iraqi decals in the kit. The kit appears to be complete and she only paid $5.00 for it so she thought she got a good deal for me. She found a couple other kits as well at the sale. She grabbed me a Tamiya Humvee kit and an M1A1 Abrams with a mone plow attachment. She paid a total of $20 for all the kits.

What's y'all's take on these kits? I'm especially interested in the SCUD Missle kit as I haven't seen one before and it looks like a really cool kit to build. Any tips or ideas and links would be greatly appreciated...

The SCUD came out around 1992 or 93, shortly after the Gulf War and has been reissued a time or two since then. It is a challenging kit, or so I have read. I've seen builds of it that look beautiful. They must have been labors of love. Google Dragon Scud review and you should get some hits.

The Tamiya HMMWV would depend on which kit you have. If it is the M242 Bushmaster kit, that is really a rebox of the Italeri kit (yes, Tamiya reboxed an Italeri kit in the late 80s and passed it off as their own) with a new sprue for the hard top and gun system. The vehicle was a "one of" and was never fielded.

If you have a Tamiya M1025 or M1046, it is a newer HMMWV kit with no relation to the previous Bushmaster kit or anyother HMMWV kit. They are decent models and will depict a post Desert Storm to initial Iraqi Freedom invasion vehicle.

The Tamiya M1A1 with mine plow is a decent, solid kit, but is dated and has been bypassed by more recent offerings. It's good for a Desert Storm thru mid 1990s tank.

I have the 1/35 DML Kit #3520 SS-1c 'SCUD B' w/MAZ-543 TEL complete, dated 1991 on the box. Marco Polo Imports, Inc., is shown on the box. I've had it for years with no memory of how I came to have it. That's the problem of having thousands of kits...no recall on most of them any more. The kit markings offer a choice of Iraq, U.S.S.R., Poland, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia versions. I keep seeing this on my shelf, and occasionally I tease myself with the intention to actually build it. All the parts are still in sealed bags, but they look like good quality moldings. I've seen the built kit on a couple of contest tables, but I do not have a photo I can find. Since I do not know any better, I believe this could be an OOB build without PE and resin "improvements."

Ed

Your kit sounds to be in the same condition as mine Ed. My decal sheet only has Russia and Iraq though, I believe. I will build this project someday, but only after i gain a TON of experience building armor kits. This will definitely test my abilities and I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

That is one impressive kit when it's done, that's for sure. WOW!!!!!!! :smiley29: I have a TON of learning to do before I tackle this project, that's for sure. You don't realize how big this thing is until you see it built up. I wouldn't mind even picking up a second kit if i can find one at a reasonable price.

That builder did one heck of a job on that kit, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing the link.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where I can get a set of instructions for this kit? I have had it for 15 years or better and mine had no instructions. A model club member told me he had a set and I have been waiting 15+ years for them. :-(

Is there an online resource like there is for some aircraft instructions???

TIA

Max Bryant