Airbrush Hassles

Phantomphreak

I've had ongoing issues with my Pasche Dual Action airbrush for quite some time now. No matter how much I thin my paint, the airbrush does not spray. I have ensured the airbrish is clean and I have never let pain teven sit in the cup, let alone in the brush itself.

I've replaced the needle, nozzle and several other parts and still nothing. The compressor also is good so I know it's not a pressure issue. Does anyone know what I might be missing here? I want to start building an aircraft kit but am on hold until I can get my airbrush woes figured out.

Brian,

First thing.....Have you tried shooting Water or thinner through the airbrush? That will eliminate whether you are not mixing it right or not. If neither of those fires through the brush then, you have something stuck somewhere in your feeding system or there is a mechanical issue with your brush. I've had Q-tip and pipe cleaner particles get stuck in the brush and I have to disassemble it to find where they are stuck at.

I you shoot water (or Windex) through it?

When you push the button does air come out thru the tip?

I have tried spraying clear thinner and water through the brush with no luck. When I cover the nozzle, I get bubbles in the cup. This unit uses either a siphon cup or gravity feed and neither work. I have dismantled this unit several times and have yet to find out what the issue is.

Be sure to check the air outflow opening in the body of the airbrush behind the tip. The least little bit of crud will block and break up the airflow, preventing a good draw of paint into the nozzle. Nick Filippone

Make sure the tip is tight. I have a Badger and if the tip is loose, it won't spray. I'm not familiar with that brand of air brush, but do you have any 'O' rings on the tip? Make sure all the parts to the tip are there.

Hi, Does the tip of the needle retract into the spray nozzle when you pull back the button? If the gripper screw assembly that the needle passes through - that mechanism under the plastic handle - is not tight, is slipping, or if the needle is stuck in the nozzle. it will remain in the shutoff position regardless of the button position. Try loosening the needle gripper screw, then manually pull the needle back a bit. Now try shooting some solvent. If it shoots, your needle is not moving, if not, something is blocked.

I appreciate the tips guys. I'm at work now so i'll see what I can come up with when I get home tonight. Hopefully it's something simple...

Just a quick note...after totally disassembling the airbrush and making sure all is in order, I still have an airbrush that does not even spray water. I am relegating myself to the fact I will most likely be investing in a new airbrush in the very near future. My pending aircraft and armor kits will have to wait until I can afford a new airbrush as there is now ay i can get a good, accurate finish on these kits without a dependable airbrush. Now to decide which airbrush to purchase. I sure I get one that lasts longer than this one did. :(

Go on ebay and pick up a good, cheap Badger 150. I've gotten one before for as little as $25. Worked fine.

Is the Badger 150 a dual action unit David?

Hi, I have two Paasche brushes that are 30 years old and through my own dumbness have given me plenty of opportunities to fix them. If yours worked once, and you like the brush, and it hasn't suffered some violent trauma, it should work again. It hasn't been soaked in any ammonia or ammonia containing product, has it? Ammonia can attack brass, but you'd have to soak the brush for a while to hurt it. Try completely stripping the brush and putting the metal pieces in a jar of lacquer thinner. Let them soak while you order replacement soft parts - packings, o rings, etc. When the parts arrive, take the bits out of the thinner bath one at a time and inspect them, particularly passages. If you blow air into any little hole, it should come out someplace. Have you tried contacting Paasche? They're still an American company.

Thanks Buck. I have contacted Paasche and am still waiting for a response. I have totally dismantled this unit several times and soaked in in DuPont laquer thinner and all to no avail. Maybe I can send it to the factory and have them refurb it, I don't know yet. I may try calling them today rather than waiting for an e-mail. I do like the brush and the times I've used it in the past I had great results, even though I hated the time it took to clean it up after using it.

Let's face it, there aren't many aircraft painted in single colors now so I realistically am at a standstill in building any aircraft until I remedy this situation...

Hi Brian, I don't think there is such a thing as an easy clean airbrush, despite manufacturer's claims. When you get going again, I've been trying an idea. If the Vjr is being used, I load the VL with solvent (or vice versa) and spray clean the other between colors. It seems to use less solvent and possibly does a better job than dribbling solvent through with a dropper. You can get a single action solvent shooter real cheap.

Brian __ I also have a Paasche VL, use it all the time. I had similar issues with mine. I have no idea what the problem was, but I sent it to Paasche, they fixed it and sent it back, no charge. I would suggest you do likewise. I also have the Badger 150 that was mentioned, and yes it's also a dual action, and if anyone wants it, let me know. I don't particularly like Badgers, so......

Brian __ I also have a Paasche VL, use it all the time. I had similar issues with mine. I have no idea what the problem was, but I sent it to Paasche, they fixed it and sent it back, no charge. I would suggest you do likewise. I also have the Badger 150 that was mentioned, and yes it's also a dual action, and if anyone wants it, let me know. I don't particularly like Badgers, so......

I'd be interested in trying the Badger. PM me off the boards with specifics when you get a chance...