Nice Enterprise video

sumterIII

This brings new meaning and some "realism" to the phrase, "Arm the Photon Torpedo!"

Hey Matt,

The viewer can tell that Capt. Kirk is not a NASCAR fan. He almost never turns the ship to the left!

Please.....no Star Trek fans take this wrong, but what is the sense of having a submersible StarShip?

The first thing I thought of was how stable it was, better than I would have imagined. The second was how did they do it? Thrusters for control no dive plane no rudder. Engineering wise it was a marvel. If you were to put it in the waters of Silver Springs Fl, where the water is crystal clear you could make a movie and never use costly CGI, just plain old model building like the old days. Now that is cool!

Please.....no Star Trek fans take this wrong, but what is the sense of having a submersible StarShip?

Because of the physics, you can't make an Enterprise that can fly through the air or space realistically. It's not aerodynamic and gravity would work against it, so it won't fly in the air like an RC plane or helicopter. Doing it in space is not possible for your average RC modeler. You can, however, make it "fly" fairly realistically in water.

NASA trains its astronauts in space walking underwater because of the similarities to operating in space.

Because of the physics, you can't make an Enterprise that can fly through the air or space realistically. It's not aerodynamic and gravity would work against it, so it won't fly in the air like an RC plane or helicopter. Doing it in space is not possible for your average RC modeler. You can, however, make it "fly" fairly realistically in water.

NASA trains its astronauts in space walking underwater because of the similarities to operating in space.

I've seen some amazing things fly like Snoopy and his dog house, a lawn mower and even the Stealth Fighter 1 to 1 scale, I'm sure someone could make a flying sauser fly too. Given enough trust even a pig would fly lol

:smiley30:

It's also somewhat of a "proof-of-concept" model. I've heard opinions from real rocket scientists that the design of the CONSTITUTION Class starships could never fly in real space due its design, that the saucer section would make tumble in space, rather than actually fly through space. I think that video proves that the design COULD fly.

Garth

Some of you may know about this already. Nice study on how well a real version might work in space. Enjoy

• 3 months later...

It's also somewhat of a "proof-of-concept" model. I've heard opinions from real rocket scientists that the design of the CONSTITUTION Class starships could never fly in real space due its design, that the saucer section would make tumble in space, rather than actually fly through space. I think that video proves that the design COULD fly.

Heck, the Estes Enterprise rocket that came out in the 1970s proved that. It had a big nose probe strapped to the front to move the center of pressure forward of the CG, but it flew nice and straight with the thrust line coming from the impulse deck. Playmates also did an Enterprise D glider toy that could fly well enough. If a "real" Enterprise has a rather dense CG, then propulsion coming from the impulse engines would make it fly just fine. Now if propulsion comes from the warp engines, then it would tumble. But those engines don't put out rocket exhaust like giant SRBs. They warp space to let the ship travel at faster than light velocities. For speeds under warp, it is the impulse engines that do the propulsion.

Jay,

I one oif the novels or tech manuals it was explained that the warp nacelles did indeed generate a warp bubble which dropped the ship out of our 3d universe into subspace. Their explanation of how subspace works was simple, and kept within Einsteins limits. The speed of light in subspace (and hyperspace I would suppose for the Star Wars fans listening) is substantially higher! The ship never goes "faster" than light it merely goes where light can go faster.

In the manual it stated the impulse engines still operate, and they simply push the ship while in subspace. (or something very similar) The stronger the warp field, the 'deeper' into subspace the ship goes and thus the faster the local speed of light.

Just wait, Michio Kaku will explain it at SOME point this week on the Discovery Channel!