20mm cannon in 1/48

superhoove

I searched the forums for this to no avail, I cant believe no one ever asked before, but maybe its the way i typed it into the search, regardless can anyone tell me what diameter tubing would be equivalent to 20mm in 1/48 scale? or maybe the equation to figure it out for myself would be good also.

thanks in advance for your time.

Hi, Mike,

The conversion factor to use is 25.40 mm per 1.00 inch.

The ratio becomes 20.00 divided by 25.40 equals 0.7874. Therefore, your 20 mm barrel equals 0.7874 inch. To get the 1/48 scale diameter, 0.7874 is divided by 48 equals 0.0164 in.

In mm, 20 mm divided by 48 equals 0.4167 mm.

Scale tubing of 16 or 17 thousandths inch should be close enough, but I have no idea where you get it. Drill bits may come in those sizes from Micro Mark if a rod instead of a tube is good enough.

Good luck,

Ed

I have attached the syringe needle gauge chart for anyone interested.

I am going to use the 21g or 22g (which ever one looks best) :smiley23: as the closest to 1/48 I can get in a SS syringe needle.

thanks again Ed.

Syringe Needle Gauge Chart (attached)

Syringe Needle Gauge Chart.doc

Here's a link to Vista Dental supply: http://www.vista-dental.com/products/query.cfm?id2=Appli-Vac

100_2437.jpg

As you can see, you can buy different sizes and several of them fit within the next nearest size. They are already "blunt" so there's no danger of sticking yourself with a needle. I think I paid about $30 for the entire bunch you see above. In any case, they're not expensive and Vista will sell to you in small quantities! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Wow Gil those are awesome! I didn't realize that dentists used these. and even though the ones that I buy are like 7 cents apiece these are nicer cause you don't have to zip off the pointed bevel with a dremel and cut off wheel. good find!:smiley31:

• 2 months later...

Mike,

you might also try a company called Albion Alloy's from the U.K. Sprue Brothers carries most if not all of their line, but last time I looked they were sold out of many sizes. I've also seen Albion Alloy's micro tubing on ebay at 'reasonable' prices. Anyway they manufacture tubing ranging from .3mm (OD) X .1mm (ID) up to 1.0MM (OD) X .8mm (ID) in both brass and nickel silver in 12" lengths. Check out : http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/metal-for-model-makers

Hope this helps,

Kevin

I searched the forums for this to no avail, I cant believe no one ever asked before, but maybe its the way i typed it into the search, regardless can anyone tell me what diameter tubing would be equivalent to 20mm in 1/48 scale? or maybe the equation to figure it out for myself would be good also.

thanks in advance for your time.

Small Parts Inc. in Miami Fla carries small diameter tubing in several different materials. They also sell assortments, sample packs, and small quantities. Their advantage is that they sell tubing without molded on fittings like you sometimes get with hypodermic supplies. The 20MM barrel that I have is just under 30MM O.D. at the muzzle.

Hello again,

I also typed 'Stainless Steel 304 hypodermic tubing' into a google search and come up with LOTs of micro tubing (regular wall & thin wall) available from Amazon.com and other online retailers as well.

• 1 month later...