Trailer Trash

Mecanix

83_ss11s.jpg

At our pre Nats branch meeting we were asked to do something a bit different for the table display. Despite wondering what exactly that required as Dear Leader and Branch Chairman for Life its up to me to do something. Luckily soon after I came across the remains of a Trumpeter Maz 537 Transporter that had been returned to my local hobby shop as a " birthday present, too much for me". The trailer was beyond hope but the tractor unit could be stripped down and recovered with TLC.

What to do ? Well see above, if nothing else this could win me the Evergreen Award if such existed and if I can work out how to add images to posts here I could share it.

Paddy

83_ss11s.jpg

At our pre Nats branch meeting we were asked to do something a bit different for the table display. Despite wondering what exactly that required as Dear Leader and Branch Chairman for Life its up to me to do something. Luckily soon after I came across the remains of a Trumpeter Maz 537 Transporter that had been returned to my local hobby shop as a " birthday present, too much for me". The trailer was beyond hope but the tractor unit could be stripped down and recovered with TLC.

What to do ? Well see above, if nothing else this could win me the Evergreen Award if such existed and if I can work out how to add images to posts here I could share it.

Paddy

So far then...

9.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

Paddy

I only just met these Photobucket people last Wednesday so if I have gotten this right and push the buttons in the correct order (where are 12 year olds when you need them?);

25.jpg

The tractor, the suspension had been fitted upside down and this is causing wheel attachment problems.

14.jpg

The container is 55cm long and 7.5cm wide roughly,in 1/35th. Its made of plastic drainpipe and its taken me nearly a bottle of thinners to get "Marley Drain products are best" off, which ran all the way down the side

There appear to be only 2 reference shots of this thing both like the above and taken from a distance by someone with a camera hidden in his bow-tie. This is both restricting and liberating to build. That is untill I meet the resident Soviet ICBM expert at the Nats.We all know he/she is out there

Its called the SS11 Sego ICBM by the way.

24.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

The warhead is a plastic kitchen funnel cut to size.

Finally what happens when you ask a (non-modelling)friend to take the photos and then go off and get the coffee.

31.jpg

DSCF1019.jpg

Paddy

I have spent the day spraying this and so far its nearly half an spraycan of car-body primer and a tin and a half of White Ensign Russian green put on. Telford is only two weeks today.

While that was drying I spent time on the base which is just under a meter long.

DSCF1134.jpg

Its two blank draw fronts from a kitchen/bedroom furniture fitters workshop near me. They have lots of blank cupboard fronts as samples and when the range changes they dump them.

This one is two standard fronts, cut a third of the way in and connected with a biscuit. Red Square is railway 4mm scale plastic brick patterned sheet, glued to balsa plank and glued into the depression, weathered and painted.Apparently the original is grey granite sets so I think it works. A strip of green baise stuck to the bottom and small brass plaque should make it look quite reasonable.

DSCF1135.jpg

The funnel has had a balsa dowel core fitted and over that the top half of a drop tank from a wingy thing unknown.

James thank you for you kind remarks.

Paddy

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay but painting gave me some cause for concern. As I said,I applied primer &mattblack coats and then several coats of WEM Russian green, so far fine. However to do the white highlightson the truck fenders and trailer side I applied some rather and probably too elaborate masking tape. The result was paint seepage on an epic scale. So I stripped it back to the plastic and tried again. Sadly the remains of the stripper reacted with the new paint so back to square one. Then after a second clean I got back to the green layer and used white PTFE tape fixed with Future. Its a bit rough but time was of the essence so..

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

Big begger isn't she.

Its a bit rough in places and these were taken the Friday morning before Telford so wipers,mirrors and hydraulic lines are still missing.

Also missing are what appear to be sway braces along side the tube and maybe a loading whinch on the trailer goose-kneck but time and lack of reference preclude them at the moment.

The somewhat lighthearted reference I made to meeting the Society's ICBM expert came true. He arrived with Ian Sadler ,no mean Russian expert himself, on Sunday morning in the middle of my hangover and after detailed examination pronounced it "OK"

Praise indeed.

regards

Paddy

Paddy