'27 Roadster - Update 4/29

fletch

Last year at the PNW Model Car Fest we started a tradition of having an Iconic Build Challenge as well as the normal 'Themes'. Last year we used the Artwork of Jairus Watson as the basis of the Challenge. Between the Model Fest and on Model Cars Magazine Forum we gave out 65 packets, each with a copy of Jairus' Artwork. The ideas was to best replicate the artwork that was in your packet. By the time we were finished we ended up with 15 entries returned for final judging. This year for the Iconic Challenge we chose the theme of America;s Most Beautiful Roadster (AMBR). AMBR is a full size competition held at the Grand National Roadster Show every year of the past 50+ years.

The idea behind the scale AMBR Challenge is to build what in your mind is America's Most Beautiful Roadster. If you choose to replicate one of the AMBR winners that is fantastic, but then again let your imagination lead the way. The other major difference between the full size AMBR and the scale AMBR is we have no year of manufacture restrictions.

That being said I had ran across a photo sometime ago of a '27 Touring converted into a Roadster. It was at an indoor show held at Indian Larry's shop in New York, when I saw the photo I knew it was something that I needed to build, but of course there are to many projects and not enough time to get them done. With the AMBR Challenge in place, now is as good a time as any to build the little roadster.

Here is the muse for the AMBR build:

AMBRMaybe-vi.jpg

Originally, I had thought that this was a '27 Roadster minus the turtle deck, but on closer inspection of the photo I noticed there is a seam in the body above the rear tire. On the '27 Roadster that seam doesn't exist, but it does when you shorten a Touring body to the length of that of the Roadster.

Both AMT and Revell have issued '27 Touring models over the years. Fortunately, both kits are in my collection, upon inspection of both kits it quickly became obvious that the Revell '27 'T' Touring was the superior body to use for the conversion. The body will be sourced from the 'Blue' version of the T Touring.

25cc84d651923adf61a08fbc4b1a3c-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The body has been cut forward of the rear doors to get the initial side profile, the rear of the Touring body needs to be shortened and narrowed to match up to the front part of the body. I'll post photos of the body once I get the next couple of cuts completed.

Stay tuned

Edited by fletch

What happened to the 26/27 T coupe? Did you finish it?

Oh, heavens no Les, it's sitting here waiting for more styrene to be added to the sides to get them where they need to be. It's nothing unusual for me to have several build in the works at a time, something to do with adult A.D.D. LOL

Fletch:

I am now a member in the forums again. Now we can talk about cars anytime as well.

Dave

Good to see that you're back Dave, as I'm sure you noticed, I haven't changed much, way to many started projects and not nearly enough finished.

I'd really like to find that '26/7 Ford coupe body to try a little bash job that's been nagging at me. I also have some ideas for colors for a 40 Ford coupe. I'm not sure whether to go with the Revell, Lindberg, or the venerable old AMT version. I guess I'll go with the least expensive of the lot. I have some color ideas to try to get it around the same color as your chopped coupe.

Dave

Got the basic bodywork done on the conversion. The rear section of the body was removed just forward of the rear doors, the rear body panel was removed then narrowed to fit the shortened body.

IMG_2155-vi.jpg

IMG_2156-vi.jpg

The body will require a slight bit of fill work and the bottom rear corners where the vertical sides meet the curved rear panel, but all in all it's a pretty good fit. The top of the cowl had a cast in "vent", which was removed, it was noticeable that the "vent" was still very much there, a liberal application of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement should help the styrene to loose it's memory of the "vent".

IMG_2158-vi.jpg

Once the basic cut and paste tasks were completed the bead was added to the top of the body, A piece of '020X'040 was laid down over the top of the body, with a slight bit of sanding to regain the desired shape it should be good. Don't know what we did before Evergreen styrene.

One item that I was concerned about with the build was the correct size tires and wheels, well it seems that Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniature Company of Maryland has once again come to the rescue.

IMG_1813vi-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Pretty much these should do the trick, next on the agenda is to dig out the Evergreen .080X.100 styrene and get the frame fabrication underway.

Stay Tuned

Edited by fletch

• 1 month later...

Man Dave..This is going to be ANOTHER Killer build bud!! Do ya think it will be ready for BILLET PROOF this weekend?? I know the 1/43 36 that I'm trying to finish won't be. smiley24.gifOh well....I'll get'er done soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Man Dave..This is going to be ANOTHER Killer build bud!! Do ya think it will be ready for BILLET PROOF this weekend?? I know the 1/43 36 that I'm trying to finish won't be. smiley24.gifOh well....I'll get'er done soon...

Funny man there Mr Davis! You know as well as I do the last week before a contest is filled with getting the final details taken care of. Modeling was pretty much non-existent for that entire week. Besides the wheels/tires from RMoM have yet to arrive. Hoping maybe by Rod Run to the End of the World or the OSSM show.

Funny man there Mr Davis! You know as well as I do the last week before a contest is filled with getting the final details taken care of. Modeling was pretty much non-existent for that entire week. Besides the wheels/tires from RMoM have yet to arrive. Hoping maybe by Rod Run to the End of the World or the OSSM show.

Hey Dave...wasn't trying to be funny bud. Just complimenting on your subject matter and wondering (really) on if it was going to be at that show so I could see it.......

Sorry, took it as you were being funny. Seems it was a mad scramble getting everything together for Billetproof. Not a single thing came together as we had hoped it would. I think the entry forms were the only thing that didn't fight from start to finish. I brought several projects to help fill the tables but they weren't needed so that got left in the case and didn't see the light of day.

Not sure if anything will get completed by Good Guys, but should have a couple of new pieces ready for the Rod Run to the End of the World. That gives me a little over 60 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, took it as you were being funny. Seems it was a mad scramble getting everything together for Billetproof. Not a single thing came together as we had hoped it would. I think the entry forms were the only thing that didn't fight from start to finish. I brought several projects to help fill the tables but they weren't needed so that got left in the case and didn't see the light of day.

Not sure if anything will get completed by Good Guys, but should have a couple of new pieces ready for the Rod Run to the End of the World. That gives me a little over 60 days.

Man Dave....that was a good show..as always. Seemed like the model count was down a little from last year. Fabrizio didn't get to make it...that could've been what was missing...ya think??