Please: Help Me Id This "ace" 1/72 Saab Jas-39 "gripen" Kit

Fred Horky

Help, please: I have an old (about 20 years) Korean-issue "Ace" 1/72nd kit of the SAAB JAS-39 "Gripen" multi-role fighter. The modeler who gave it to me back then had received it directly from a contact in Korea.

The box and picto-gram instructions have precious little English (or Korean, for that mattery) but the markings on the decal indicate it as a developmental, not operational, airframe.

It's looks to be a very neat little model, with engraved panel lines, a full engine (which won't be visible when the kit is assembled!), a very complete ordnance suite ...even a fairly elaborate crew ladder.

The box and instructions identify it as "Ace Hobby Kit no. 1500". My question is: was this kit ever released by a western company ....Revell, HobbyCraft, etc.? If so, whom? And are there any other 1/72nd Gripen kits available?

Thanks in advance...

Fred Horky

IPMS #6390

Fred, According to John Burn's " Plastic Aircraft Kits of the 20th Century" the JAS-39 was released in 1/72 scale by Heller (and re-released by Airfix), by Tamiya in 1/72 scale, and by Top Gun-whoever they are- also in 1/72 scale. Revell also released a 1/72 scale kit as well as a 1/144 scale kit. The only listing for Ace/Korea is a 1/32 scale kit, also re-released by Revell. This may be a misprint. There is no mention of a 1/72 scale Ace release in this book. While this book is quite extensive, it is not always complete. Given the immensity of the task, it must be forgiven. Regards, Nick Filippone

Fred, According to John Burn's " Plastic Aircraft Kits of the 20th Century" the JAS-39 was released in 1/72 scale by Heller (and re-released by Airfix), by Tamiya in 1/72 scale, and by Top Gun-whoever they are- also in 1/72 scale. Revell also released a 1/72 scale kit as well as a 1/144 scale kit. The only listing for Ace/Korea is a 1/32 scale kit, also re-released by Revell. This may be a misprint. There is no mention of a 1/72 scale Ace release in this book. While this book is quite extensive, it is not always complete. Given the immensity of the task, it must be forgiven. Regards, Nick Filippone

Nick ....thanks for your reply. The kit in question is definitely 1/72nd, and as obviously intended for Korean domestic consumption. As I'd mentioned, it was obtained from a modeler IN KOREA, not through a commercial source. I suspect the same molds were used in a Revell "re-pop".

Fred

Fred