Decals for a different kit question?

burner12

I recently bought some decals that are sized for the Hasegawa kit, but realized after I had bought the model that it was a Revell. Does the sizing of the decal for each kit come into play and cause problems? or could I use decals fro a Hasegawa kit on a Revell, or vice versa?

Edited by burner12

What kit did you buy? If it is the same aircraft the decals should fit. You may need a little alteration for D-Day stripes but usually it is not a problem. Many times Revell Germany uses Hasegawa moulds, as in the case of the Spit Mk XI and Hurricane Mk IIc.

I recently bought some decals that are sized for the Hasegawa kit, but realized after I had bought the model that it was a Revell. Does the sizing of the decal for each kit come into play and cause problems? or could I use decals fro a Hasegawa kit on a Revell, or vice versa?

What kit did you buy? If it is the same aircraft the decals should fit. You may need a little alteration for D-Day stripes but usually it is not a problem. Many times Revell Germany uses Hasegawa moulds, as in the case of the Spit Mk XI and Hurricane Mk IIc.

I bought 2 old Revell/Monogram Blue Angel F/A-18 Hornet 1/48 scale kits.

Edited by burner12

You're taking your chances either way. Decals that are designed for a specific kit usually fit; but not always (manufacturer's error, as in the P-26 decals I'm currently using). You probably increase the chances of a misfit if you use a different brand of kit than the one the decals were designed for. That said, it shouldn't be much of a difference. Usually it's things like where a decal wraps around a leading/trailing edge or a compound curve. Those are the places that will be least likely to be identical and cause some problems. Just keep in mind that most modern (post 1990) releases are pretty close in airframe accuracy (sizes). If you start trying to use a MUCH older kit, like an Otaki Mustang from the 70's or a Hawk Mustang from the 60's, all bets are off!

GIL :smiley16:

You're taking your chances either way. Decals that are designed for a specific kit usually fit; but not always (manufacturer's error, as in the P-26 decals I'm currently using). You probably increase the chances of a misfit if you use a different brand of kit than the one the decals were designed for. That said, it shouldn't be much of a difference. Usually it's things like where a decal wraps around a leading/trailing edge or a compound curve. Those are the places that will be least likely to be identical and cause some problems. Just keep in mind that most modern (post 1990) releases are pretty close in airframe accuracy (sizes). If you start trying to use a MUCH older kit, like an Otaki Mustang from the 70's or a Hawk Mustang from the 60's, all bets are off!

GIL :smiley16:

That's kinda what I thought when i saw it was for a Hasegawa kit. I thought that the biggest differences would be if the decal was slightly too long for the tail or wing. With that all you have to do is just trim it.