Monogram F-86 in Alclad

JeffS

This is the first time I have ever used Alclad finish on a model. I prefer Floquil Old Silver personally. Like most I have a hard time with the bare metal look but if you don't do it, you never get it right.

At any rate, this is the aged Monogram 1/48th scale Sabre built for the Rattlin' Sabre group build over on UAMF. The decals are a combination kit, MicroScale and Aeromaster sheets.

100_8509.jpg

100_8511.jpg

100_8510.jpg

100_8512.jpg

Thanks for looking and cheers

I like Floquil Old Silver as it is very durable. You can buff it, tint it and mask it with no problem. It just takes a while to dry

Alclad has the extra step of priming before painting. The shiny colors like chrome and polished aluminum can mar when masking, even low tack tape or post-it's.

So.........if not in a hurry I will stick with the Floquil.

Looks great to me too. You hit the nail on the head about NMFs; practice, practice, practice! As for me, I've found that the primer step involved with Alclad is a little more forgiving than the "sand and polish" step needed with all of the other silver finishes. You don't save any time either way, but I have had more luck with Alclad than with Metalizer or SNJ.

GIL :smiley16: