How Do You Paint The Acu Pattern?

tomk

How do you paint the new Army's Universal Camo Pattrern on figures? 1/35 is the scale I'm wondering about. I have Tamiya paints.

thank you for your help

• 8 months later...

A way that works for me...

Use an appropriately dense sponge. Make sure your paint is somewhat ink like..*it flows better* and replicate the camo pattern.

This technique works for me...

You mileage may vary.

Calvin Tan, the figure painter who painted many of the Alpine Miniatures figures for their box art, has a tutorial on how he did it at his blog:

http://zyclyon.blogspot.com/2008/08/repres...acu-in-135.html

You're using Tamiya and he uses, mostly, Vallejo Model Color, but you can pull it off. Tamiya acrylics are good paints.

After seeing that write up.....I'm glad I don't build modern US Army. More power to you all and lots of luck!

My son-in-law wears that material every day. He is a CW3 posted at Ft. Rucker, AL, as a flight instructor first on the UH-60A, then UH-60L, and now the UH-60M (as the U.S. Army upgrades their training equipment). I looked carefully at the fabric on his uniform and asked if there is any repeat in the digital camo pattern. Nope. The pattern does not repeat. It is constantly different. So, if you can match the colors and paint them in scale, whatever pattern you paint cannot be called inaccurate.

Ed

Calvin Tan's "polymino technique" produces convincing results. No doubt you can use the same technique to paint US Marine MARPAT as well as modern Canadian Forces.

Calvin_Tan_Alpine_Mini_ACU.jpg

(Image courtesy Calvin Tan and Alpine Miniatures)

This is a great thread guys!

I had been wondering how to even start this (& had been avoiding it!)

Super tips that will get me started!