Stream of bubbles from decals

Dick Montgomery

I've seen a few bubbles rise from decals when submerged but never a stream of bubbles such as I saw this morning. When the decal was submerged in water a stream of very tiny bubbles began to pour from the corner of the decal sheet and continued for about 30 seconds. It reminded me of the bubbles one sees from champagne.

I wonder....has anyone else ever seen this? BTW...the decal was applied in the usual manner with no ill effect. I'm just curious as to why there seemed to be a large amount of gas (probably just "air") under the decal?

Dick,

Are you sure that stream of bubbles wasn't coming out of your beer glass instead of under the decal? HaHa

Just weird! I've never seen that before. Perhaps the decals are a bit old and have air trapped within. Who knows....

I think Dave's got the answer. The bubbles come from the paper, not the decal. If you put the decal in the water upside down so the paper was up, I thing you'd see where the bubbles are coming from more clearly.

Insert joke here about some mythical relative of the Carpet Monster (Decal Silvering Monster, etc) living in the decal paper.

By, golly, you guys have discovered the root cause of silvering of decals without realizing it! The fizzy bubbles are normally timed to release approximately 20 minutes after you have laid down and set the decal, thus causing latent silvering of the decal with trapped fizz. Dick had a defective decal sheet whereby the included fizz released too early, thus giving away its presence and ruining the chance for delayed silvering. :rolleyes:

Ed

Well, perhaps I should mention that I was using root beer to "float" the decals and I accidentally dropped an Alka-Seltzer in the bowl.

For a Treadhead, which ususally requires two tracks, you display a one-track mind on that particular subject.

See............................I KNEW beer was involved!

For a Treadhead, which ususally requires two tracks, you display a one-track mind on that particular subject.

"We have both kinds...Country and Western!"