Cylon Base Star by Revell

This is the 30th Anniversary edition of the Base Star by Revell. Fun, quick, and easy. The "base" is temporary and is a cap from a spray can. The base is not strong enough to support the model when completed so it is being rigged with some additional support arms.

CylonBaseStar30thAnniversaryRevell856443topview.jpg

CylonBaseStar30thAnniversaryRevell856443bottomview.jpg

Hi, Dick,

Your build on this kit looks very impressive. Did you attempt to sand down the four hull pieces to thin the edges to something closer to the sharp edges on the studio model?

I was asked to photograph one of these for a friend. There are only a few choices for angles and orientation because the model looks the same from EVERY direction. Closeups of details add some variety to the shots. Another "concern" is that the model is basically monotone light gray or off-white, with little true color to provide some character and NO decal markings. I wonder how the Cylons in their Raiders could tell which Base ship was theirs. I see you have added some darker shading to the hull panels, and it looks like the approach cutouts for the hanger entrances (at least on the topside) are darker as well.

Good luck with your support stand.

Ed

The seams along the joint line between each saucer's northern and southern hemisphere is the only real issue I had with this kit. I did not thin those surfaces down, as you mentioned in your message. A couple of files were used to make the seam disappear as much as possible, with the sanding residue being mixed with liquid cement to act as a filler. A flat file worked well on and near the launching rails and a rounded file worked nicely among all the little bumps and nobs that pass as "detail" along the seamline.

The support arms on the base worked, and its a good thing they did. The model is displayed on a shelf about six feet above the floor and if those support arms failed I would have CBS saucer bits all over the floor. As for color scheme, of the many CBSs that could be made by the Cylons I figure one of them might look like this and if not, that's ok with me. The colors were what I had on hand and the colors provided an interesting contrast on the finished product. The lack of decals is just another bonus! I don't have to worry about the carrier film "silvering".

• 4 months later...

The coloring looks good to me. Besides, Cylons are machines with no sense of color anyway (short of those snazzy green pentagon symbols and black stripes on the wings of the Raiders). As for knowing which ship is which, probably transponder signals take the guesswork out.

• 1 month later...

Well, the paint cap is gone and the permanent base is in place. Sci Fi is always fun to build!

And I never made the connection to the C-57D....but you're right!