HobbyCraft Aircraft kits

skysoldier46

I was given a Bf109C model and I have to tell you it sucks! Things don't fit, I had to shim items, the struts holding the rudders don't line up and in general to me anyway is a BAD kit manufacturer. Anyone else have the problems with HobbyCraft?

James,

I have built several of their Avia kits in the past and loved them. The engine cover was kind of a pain but other than that, I liked it.

Mark

As with a lot of manufacturers, it depends on the kit. Their Bf-109E/G kits have pretty good reps. I'm building their P-26 and have also built the P-35. Both are good (if simple) builds. Their F7U-3 Cutlass builds up nicely, even if it's not entirely accurate. Their Bf-109C may indeed be a pig, or maybe you got one from the last run of the molds, and the parts aren't as good as when the molds were first cut. Who knows?

GIL :smiley16:

I guess I did get hold of one of the last runs. The flash was so bad too. I spent most of the day today cleaning things up and it will lodge in the display case BEHIND other kits. :smiley19: Nedless to say I am sticking with Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, Monogram and the few Classic Airframe kits I do have. Has anyone built a kit fromn the Check co ICC? Are they good kits. The local hobby shop has a few but before I invest anymore money I want o know what they're like. Thanks guys appreciate the input.

I'll be in Knoxville this weekend with Mike Moore to pick up another Classic Airframes kit and look forwad to seeing some old modeling buddies.

For me it wasn't much of a choice. Not many companies produced a Avia-199. There was the old Ventura kit and the Hobby Craft. Made it kinda easy.

• 2 weeks later...

As has been said already: it depends on the kit.

I am working on a P-36 now, which while lacking some detail in the cockpit is a decent kit.

However, years back I did one of their F4U kits, and had some rather strong words (not positive) as nothing seemed to go right. I vowed then I was never going to build another HC kit - now that I am into the P-36 I am glad I changed my mind.

Your BEST bet would be to "ask around" on this and other modeling forums before picking a kit up. I am sure you will get tons of reviews & can easily see which ones are good, and those that you should avoid!

that's why I asked Tom to see what other people say about HC. :smiley20: Forums and model shows/contests are a great place to see what other kits look like also.