OMG I Found A Gun Truck!!!

Mark Aldrich

Just so everyone knows, this is not the original Vietnam era "The Colonel". It has been made by the Transportation unit that served in Vietnam. They used period photographs and made it as the unit in Vietnam had made the original.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing a LOT of deuce and a half's in Nam. One in particular was painted all black and the name was Black Widow. It had a .50 cal mount above the driver, an 81mm mortar in the center of the rear bed and a .60 cal MG at each corner. Sandbags on the floor 3 deep to 'protect' from land mines.

Black Widow was a well documented M-54. Obliviously changed her armament at least once. I got a few pictures of her running with three .50 calibers at all stations.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Yeah, I'm familiar with Black Widow. On another of my Forums I frequent; one of the guys crewed her. he's done many a diorama showing some of the experiences he had on her.

If I could get enough spare parts and the gumption, I'd try to build a Vietnam-era gun truck from one of my 1/72 scale trucks.

Best of luck with that! I have seen the conversions done and no one likes doing it. I think the easiest way (in 1/35) is to fork out the big bucks for one of the RealModel conversions.

I wonder if this will be placed at the museum or at the unit's building?

Mark, next time you're at the museum, can you please see if that WW1 diorama that we did back in '92/93 is still there?

Thanks bud,

Timmy

I believe the plan is to leave it where it is. The Museum.....as it currently appears, will not reopen until November. But I will definitely keep you posted.