Is an air tank a good option

bmill245

I recently was given an Iwata airbrush from a modeling friend, he also gave me an old compressor that works, but is quite loud. I don't believe the wife will like that at all. I was wondering if an air tank is a good option. My dad has a compressor that I could use at any time to fill it up and a tank is quite a lot cheaper than a compressor. Does anyone use this option? How long does a 5 gallon tank last? Thanks in advance.

Brian

I recently was given an Iwata airbrush from a modeling friend, he also gave me an old compressor that works, but is quite loud. I don't believe the wife will like that at all. I was wondering if an air tank is a good option. My dad has a compressor that I could use at any time to fill it up and a tank is quite a lot cheaper than a compressor. Does anyone use this option? How long does a 5 gallon tank last? Thanks in advance.

Brian

The air tank option is great for quiet operation, especially when properly filled with inert gas. No noise, no moisture.

That said, I would advise against self filling the air tank as moisture could make it inside and cause corrosion as well as annoying moisture plugs in the air line. Over the long run you risk serious danger as improperly filling a deteriorated air tank could cause a tank eruption. If large enough with the right amount of pressure, shrapnel could result. Play it safe and have the tank checked out and filled professionally.

You would be better off to invest in a CO2 tank set up. It will last a long time and doesn't cost that much to refill. I used to have a loud compressor and to quiet it I built a box around it with foam to dampen the sound. It worked fairly well.

FWIW, I use a combination of the above two ideas. I used to use a CO2 tank and loved the idea. After retiring, I couldn't find a good place to refill the tank. I then bought a small compressor. It was kind of loud. What I did was to attach the outlet hose from the compressor onto the inlet of the tank. This allowed the compressor to run for a short time and then its pressure switch shut it off. I can then adjust the pressure from the tank and spray happily. The tank removes any pulsing and any moisture.

I would use a compressor/tank combo witha water seprator on the air supply line. Then you can plumb the supply line to the work area and leave the noise elsewhere. Just make SURE to drain the tank at lLEAST weekly and let it air out for a day or two to reduce the rust/corrosion factor. My sorry two cents worth.

You can also get a compressor with tank at Wal-Mart for under $75. I installed a water trap on mine and a smaller gauge. Never have had to drain it yet..

You can also get a compressor with tank at Wal-Mart for under $75. I installed a water trap on mine and a smaller gauge. Never have had to drain it yet..

You don't drain it to keep water out of the air, but to keep water from sitting in the tank and rusting it from the inside out. If you find a tank compressor without a drain plug, maybe keep looking...

BTW, the Grex airbrush guys and gals were demoing a sweet little compressor at the last show I was at - it looked fairly heavy duty but still quiet enough to run indoors. I think it was this model and they may have been selling it for a few bucks less then amazon at the show (and no, I don't get a commission if you buy one).

Don

At $60 some bucks for a new one (compressor with tank), I'm not to worried about the tank. I just want to make sure there isn't any H2O in the line.