Classic Airframes Bf109A

skysoldier46

I was looking at eBay tonight and saw this kit for sale. someone had already bought it but I'm still looking for anyone who may be willing to sell one if they have one and are willing to part with it. I'm also ready to pay decent money for one as well. I was reading about Classic Airframes earlier and like what I saw about their kits. Anyone know why they went out of Business or where I may find a Bf109A or Bf109C/D??

Thanks, Jim

also I see some models with a center line down the back of the fuselage and some models look like that join is sanded smooth. The books I have on the Bf109 show the plane as having a seam down the back where the sides meet at the top. Which is correct or are they both correct?

Edited by skysoldier46

You're correct in that Bf109s were built in halves and joined together like a plastic kit with a seam down the center of the spine (and belly for that matter).

In 72nd, there are available kits of the early 109 variants by A Model, Avis, Aero-Plast, and Heller.

I was looking at eBay tonight and saw this kit for sale. someone had already bought it but I'm still looking for anyone who may be willing to sell one if they have one and are willing to part with it. I'm also ready to pay decent money for one as well. I was reading about Classic Airframes earlier and like what I saw about their kits. Anyone know why they went out of Business or where I may find a Bf109A or Bf109C/D??

Thanks, Jim

also I see some models with a center line down the back of the fuselage and some models look like that join is sanded smooth. The books I have on the Bf109 show the plane as having a seam down the back where the sides meet at the top. Which is correct or are they both correct?

Hi Jim,

Some answers for you. As has already been confirmed, there should be a seam down the spine and underside of the aft fuselage. It's not exactly on the centerline, but I forget right now which side it's offset to, and I doubt anyone would do more than note the presence or lack of the seam, not to mention the fact that it's not actually a butt join, but an overlapped seam if my memory serves...

As for Classic Airframes, they aren't technically out of business, rather in hibernation. When the economy went sour a couple years ago, Jules rolled up the rugs and is waiting things out. He may or may not be back, depends on weather or not he thinks he can make a living producing limited run quirky kits. Personally I hope he comes back, but only time will tell.

And finally, I've got a 109 I can part with if the price is right. Shoot me a PM and make me an offer. It's not in my immediate "to do" stack, but given the availability I'm not likely to let 'er go for a song either. I'm in Chattanooga and if we were to come to terms, I could meet up with you at the Knoxville show in a couple weeks and hand deliver it to save postage.

Mike

hey Mike, thanks for your reply. I'll send you a PM . I bought a Classic Airframe 109D today but I still want an A model.

By the way Mike, what is the date for the Ktown show? I lived in Ktown for almost 12 years.

Edited by skysoldier46

No problem Jim. I've responded to our PM, but in case anyone looks here for the answer, the Knoxville show is next Saturday, March 26th.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, it was really good meeting you at the model contest and show. I now have a Classic Airframes A and D Bf109. Thank you for the kit also. I did notice the attendence on the Smoky Mt Mini-Con has gone down since the last time I was living in Knoxville. All in all I had a great time, met some old club members like Ken King, P-Rat and Kurt and a few others but can't remember their names.