Jump to content

The Invisible Man


MikeH
 Share

Recommended Posts

While I wait for my Robin's Demise kit to arrive, I'm going to work on this one. The challenge with this will be the painting and the entire process of blending and shading and using flat colors as opposed to gloss. The wooden table and floor will certainly pose a challenge. This will be my first real figure model. I've 99% done automotive subjects, and the other 1% sci-fi.

 

DSC03149.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my progress today. I based with Testors "wood", the followed over the top with a tooth brush and dry brushed Raw Sienna. After which, I mixed the wood color with flat white and hit a few highlight areas like the wood joints and some "high traffic" spots. Lastly I followed it up with a burnt umber oil wash. I gave some boards more of a sludge wash, and wiped excess off of some others to give the appearance of the random wood color pattern. I've got the table to do next.

 

DSC03159.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the table. I tried for a stained mahogany color/look with a red tint to it. Wood color base with a scrub over with the toothbrush using burnt sienna, and some dry brush highlights of raw umber, and a burnt umber oil wash to top it all off.

 

DSC03163.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03160.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the book case done tonight. Here it is with the books for mock-up. I've also made a video tutorial as to the technique I used to create the look.

 

DSC03172-1.jpg

DSC03170-1.jpg

Edited by MikeH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the pants done tonight. I took the gamble and scribed in the pants seams on each side. I went in after the base color and accented the wrinkles with a darker color and my airbrush.

 

DSC03181-1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a bit more progress done tonight. I used some doctors office tape cut in to strips to line the inside of the bandages so it has a better effect. I also got the skull, shoes, jacket, and head piece done sans detail painting and washes. There's a fit issue with the head and chest piece, but it'll be easily resolved with some trimming along the neck line. Again, more mixture of colors to accent shadows and wrinkles.

 

DSC03185-1.jpg

DSC03187-1.jpg

DSC03188.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

After a few weeks away from this project due to commissioned builds, paint jobs, and other, I got the the man complete. I just need to go back and dry-brush the bandages, and detail paint the gloves and goggles. The pictures are in natural light and with the flash from my camera. Everything on the Invisible Man thus far has been airbrushed with the mentality of airbrush art in "paint what you see". So the traditional figure painting method has been set aside.

 

DSC03353.jpg

DSC03354.jpg

Edited by MikeH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Quite a number of years ago when our UK Nationals was a small show compared to today, I decided to have a bit of fun in the figures class. What I did was enter a base with just two footprints on it entitled H.G.Wells' Invisible Man. Later on during the day, a friend of mine came over to me with an amused look on his face. Apparently someone looking at my joke entry passed their hand over it to see if anyrthing was there!!!!!!!

Edited by noelsmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...