Did Airfix ever do 1/72 scale biplanes?

RGronovius

As a kid I remember building the old Revell and Monogram biplanes and my recent topic on Matchbox kits reminds me that they had a few. I do not recall ever seeing any by Airfix. Of course the majority of my Airfix kits were reboxed by MPC or sold as USAirfix and they may have had a smaller line aimed at US kids.

They have a lot of biplanes. In my list, I have Sopwith Pup, Hannover Cl.111a, Roland CII and Bristol Bulldog. I have completed the SPAD VII as well. It was an easy kit to build with fixed interplane struts which align the top wing.

I am sure that there are many more.

I figured as much, it's just that I don't recall seeing them growing up. I remember the US planes, some Soviet and a lot of German, but for some reason, other than the 3(?) Monogram 1930s biplanes, the only ones I remember building in this scale were the Revell ones.

I did an eBay search and turned up a whole slew of them. Thanks.

Edited by RGronovius

Go to http://ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/box_art_album/Manufacturers/ , select "Airfix" and check out some box art.

• 4 weeks later...

hell yeah!

The Avro 504K in Qantas livery is an Airfix collectors item as well.

Many a Spad, Camel and Pup did I build back in the day.

They were initially all sold as a bagged kit, and then re-issued in the box. The bags were (are still) awesome.

Adam