Thinning Tamiya paints with paint thinner?

DavidBridges

Hello all,

I've always used ModelMaster enamels for airbrushing, and I'm thinking of trying to cross over to using Tamiya acrylics. I've heard that some people use regular ole' paint thinner (or something similar) for thinning Tamiya acrylics with very good results.

Anyone here have any experience with this? If there's a thinner I could use for both ModelMaster and Tamiya stuff, that'd be great - commonality would save me some money.

Thanks and Happy Modelling!

David

I don't know about using regular paint thinner for Tamiya. Tamiya is acrylic and it seems to me that the old adage about water and oil not mixing come into play here. Since my source for Gunze acrylic dried up (no pun intended) I've switched over to Tamiya for acrylic work and I always use their brand name thinner.

You can actually use 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol - it's a cheap alternative to Testors Acrylic thinner. The only difference that I have noticed with it is that it tends to dull the glossy Tamiya acrylics (though that is easiliy resolved with a glosscoat).

I also use Mr. Thinner to thin my Tamiya Acrylics - expensive, but it works beautifully.

After doing some web searching research, I should more apporpriately ask if anyone has used lacquer thinner (specifically the Tamiya brand lacquer thinner) for thinning Tamiya paints. Apparently, some folks (Mig Jimenez, Adam Wilder, etc.) have gotten very good results by using them.

David

Edited by DavidBridges

When all else is said and done, perhaps the best approach is to test it out on a scrap model. Try the Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, Testors Acrylic thinner, and the Tamiya brand lacquer thinner. I'd be interested in the results if you put it to a test.

I use ordinary hardware store lacquer thinner with Tamiya acrylics with absolutely no problems. In fact, it airbrushes like an enamel. I have had nothing but trouble trying to airbrush acrylics with alcohol or water, so I tried the lacquer thinner based on others' comments. Give it a try, it should work a treat. (But try it out on a scrap model first!)

Neal

I've been using Tamyia acrylics almost exclusively for the last 5 years or so. I generally thin them with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. I tried 90%, but found it dried too quickly. Even with 70% it is possible for them to "frost" over if you hit it with a blast of air from the airbrush, but once you get the hang of spraying them, I find that rarely happens to me. I also have very few problems with the paint drying on my needle, and I use a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity with the .015 needle a lot! Using the alcohol as a thinner, the paint dries quickly enough that I can mask over it in minutes after "baking" it a bit with a blow dryer. The alcohol will give you a dead flat finish, and as someone else noted, it will knock the gloss back on the gloss colors. The other disadvantage to using alcohol is that if you have to sand out an imperfection, it's really hard to sand the finish to a feather edge so the repair is invisible.

I've also used Gunze Mr Thinner 400, and it works really well also, and doesn't give as flat a finish.

And, I've used Tamyia's Lacquer Thinner as well. If you want a really satin smooth finish that can really be feathered out, it's the only way to fly. I've been able to sand out imperfections and re-spray with no sign of the old paint line. I really like what I can do with the lacquer thinner, but the down side is that I'm spraying lacquer thinner, which is more of a health hazard (a spray booth would of course solve that!). I haven't tried generic lacquer thinner, but I've seen plenty of posts from folks who say they do it with no issues.

Whichever thinner you go with, and I'd suggest there are applications for each, one thing I'd say is to thin the paint more than you might expect. I shoot really thin paint and build it up slowly. I use a lot of alcohol (but it's cheap) but by spraying thin, fast drying coats, it's possible to see what the finished product will look like as you go.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Mike

David,

To answer your question.....I use Duracryl Acrylic Lacquer thinner #876 to thin Tamiya acrylic paints. I mix this at a 50/50 ratio and it goes down smooth as silk! I have only found this product a automotive paint stores. I, also, use it to thin my Model Master enamels too.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll have to search around my area and see what kind of lacquer thinners are available, and then do some testing.

Thanks again for the help guys!

David

I recently started using Blue windshield washer fluid to thin all my acrylic paints. Add a drop or two of Tamiya retarder and make sure you thin to the consistancy of milk, you should be OK.

fdo

Hello all,

I've always used ModelMaster enamels for airbrushing, and I'm thinking of trying to cross over to using Tamiya acrylics. I've heard that some people use regular ole' paint thinner (or something similar) for thinning Tamiya acrylics with very good results.

Anyone here have any experience with this? If there's a thinner I could use for both ModelMaster and Tamiya stuff, that'd be great - commonality would save me some money.

Thanks and Happy Modelling!

David