A pair of 1/48 P-26c Peashooters

ghodges

A related question on this rigging: At what scale do you guys think it needs to replicate the airfoil cross section? I think they actually sell the stuff for R/C planes. How would you do it in 1/48 or 1/32? (One of the reasons I like 1/72 is that this is a moot point in bug scale.)

A related question on this rigging: At what scale do you guys think it needs to replicate the airfoil cross section? I think they actually sell the stuff for R/C planes. How would you do it in 1/48 or 1/32? (One of the reasons I like 1/72 is that this is a moot point in bug scale.)

I would say 1/48th or even 1/32nd is OK for round wires. I would think that in 1/32nd airfoil shaped wires would be a noticeable improvement however. I have a 1/12th scale P-26 just waiting to be built but the airfoil rigging is what has me stumped. Even have a Williams Bros. engine. Where did you see these R/C ones?

The first P-26 is done (warts and all)!

100_3443.jpg

100_3442.jpg

100_3446.jpg

100_3447.jpg

Well, if nothing else it's colorful, and with any luck, I'll be able to do the next one with a few less gaffs. Always a nice feeling to get one done and onto the shelf!

GIL :smiley16:

... I have a 1/12th scale P-26 just waiting to be built but the airfoil rigging is what has me stumped. Even have a Williams Bros. engine. Where did you see these R/C ones?

Just a vague recollection here. Am not an R/C guy (maybe someday) but thought I'd seen it in a store. There is often some heavier stuff like this in the typical LHS brass/aluminum tubing racks. The homemade ones I've seen were thin metal strips with (or without) rounded edges, and some fine tubing that was squeezed through a small roller tool that was likewise handmade for this purpose. IIRC, the tool's mechanism was akin to that of a manual can opener. The guy who made the roller tool is Arlo Schroeder in Kansas, a true master of the art, who scratchbuilds fantastic 1/16 biplanes, et al.

... I have a 1/12th scale P-26 just waiting to be built but the airfoil rigging is what has me stumped. Even have a Williams Bros. engine. Where did you see these R/C ones?

Just a vague recollection here. Am not an R/C guy (maybe someday) but thought I'd seen it in a store. There is often some heavier stuff like this in the typical LHS brass/aluminum tubing racks. The homemade ones I've seen were thin metal strips with (or without) rounded edges, and some fine tubing that was squeezed through a small roller tool that was likewise handmade for this purpose. IIRC, the tool's mechanism was akin to that of a manual can opener. The guy who made the roller tool is Arlo Schroeder in Kansas, a true master of the art, who scratchbuilds fantastic 1/16 biplanes, et al.

Thanx for the info..

Got the second one decaled...

100_3449.jpg

This one was MUCH easier, due to splitting the side flash to match the width of the cowl ring flash. Amazingly, the decals also fit this old resin kit a little better than the Hobbycraft kit they were designed for! I plan to rig this one with sprue (haven't ordered any wire yet), so the rigging should also look better. More pics when she's finished in a few days! As always, comments critiques, and questions are welcome!

:smiley7: Grrrrrrrrr....

The first attempt at rigging this one has gone awry. Got all the wires in place and all of them tightened perfectly EXCEPT for the last set on the upper right wing! No problem, just redo those 3 wires.......until I fumbled and broke the cross braces between the gear while trying to do that! :smiley7:

I'm now in the process of applying beer to my rather frazzled nerves......<_< I'll make another stab at it tomorrow or Friday, depending on how well the beer works......:rolleyes:

:smiley7: Grrrrrrrrr....

The first attempt at rigging this one has gone awry. Got all the wires in place and all of them tightened perfectly EXCEPT for the last set on the upper right wing! No problem, just redo those 3 wires.......until I fumbled and broke the cross braces between the gear while trying to do that! :smiley7:

I'm now in the process of applying beer to my rather frazzled nerves......<_< I'll make another stab at it tomorrow or Friday, depending on how well the beer works......:rolleyes:

Enuf beer and you won't care.....

Soothed by beer and nerves calmed, the second P-26 is done!

100_3452.jpg

100_3456.jpg

I'm much more satisfied with this one, even if it's barely contest quality. Just goes to show, it takes more than one kit to get it right (at least for me!)

Comments, questions, and critiques welcome. Now on to the NEXT model! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Gilly you are on notice!!! I just ordered the new set of 17Sqd P-26's from Yellow Wings. I am gonna BLOW YER DOORS IN, DUDE!!! (As soon as I find 2 more P-26 kits)

BWWAAAHAHAHAHA!!

:lol::D:)

• 4 weeks later...

Both models came out looking fantastic. I love the lines of these old planes. I picked up an old Revell 1/72 scale Peashooter at a show factory sealed for $3. The cockpit details are non exhistent but the outside looks good. I believe the kit is from the early 60's. Again, great job on both!:smiley20: